World
Body of first caller from S. Korean ferry found
Publish Date: Apr 24, 2014
Body of first caller from S. Korean ferry found
Relatives onboard a ship react as they visit the site of the sunken South Korean ferry Sewol, marked with buoys (L), at sea off Jindo on April 24, 2014. PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

SEOUL - The body of a high school student who made the first distress call from a sinking South Korean ferry was recovered from the submerged vessel on Thursday, news reports said.

The student, identified by his surname Choi, had called the emergency 119 number at 8:52am on Wednesday last week, three minutes before the crew of the 6,825 tonne Sewol sent their first distress signal.

The timing of his terrified message -- "Save us. The ship is sinking" -- has fuelled anger over the slow response of the Sewol's captain and crew as the disaster unfolded.

The confirmed death toll stood at 162 on Thursday, with 140 still unaccounted for -- their bodies believed trapped in the ship that capsized in circumstances that have yet to be fully explained.

Yonhap news agency said divers had retrieved the boy's body from inside the ferry on Thursday morning and it had been identified by his parents.

A DNA test was being carried out to formally confirm his identity, Yonhap said.

The boy was one of 325 students from the same high school who were on the ferry, bound for the southern resort island of Jeju, when it capsized.

During his 119 call, Choi was bombarded with questions about the ferry's coordinates and the number of people on board.

A coastguard official later told reporters that emergency services had mistaken him for a crew member.

The captain and 11 crew members have either been arrested or taken into police custody awaiting charges.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Woman bailed in dramatic S.African baby-snatching case
A woman charged with stealing a newborn baby from its sleeping mother 17 years ago was granted bail by a South African court Friday in a case of wrenching emotional complexity and coincidence....
China’s anti-graft campaign maintains high approval rating
By Zhao Bing from People’s Daily China’s anti-graft campaign has attracted widespread attention from both the Party and the public. The campaign has proven remarkably successful since President Xi Jinping led the fight against corruption after taking office in 2012. Anti-corruption is believ...
Death toll from migrant tragedy rises to 50
THE latest migrant drowning tragedy in the Mediterranean claimed at least 50 lives, 40 more than first thought, the International Organisation for Migration revealed...
Liberia
Liberia discharged its last confirmed Ebola patient on Thursday, as it reported for the first time in nine months it had gone a full week without any new infections....
China’s anti-graft campaign maintains high approval rating
THE campaign has proven remarkably successful since President Xi Jinping led the fight against corruption after taking office in 2012...
Philippines to charge Australian on child sex charges
Philippine prosecutors said Thursday they would will file human trafficking and murder charges against an Australian man who allegedly sexually assaulted babies and children as part of a booming cyber-sex trade....
Is KCCA doing enough to curb poor hygeine?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter