African News
UN confirms massacre in South Sudan, says FM being used for hate messages
Publish Date: Apr 21, 2014
UN confirms massacre in South Sudan, says FM being used for hate messages
  • mail
  • img
newvision

The United Nations Mission in South Sudan has confirmed that civilians were killed en masse at the Bentiu hospital and mosque last Tuesday and Wednesday, also disclosing that the radio station in Bentiu is being used to broadcast hate messages.

Rebels who took over Bentiu town last week were accused of killing civilians from both the Dinka and Nuer ethnic groups who had not supported their cause, as well as Sudanese Darfuris, whom they accused of supporting the government.

In a statement released this morning, the peacekeeping mission stated that it “strongly condemns the targeted killings of civilians based on their ethnic origins and nationality in Bentiu.”

The UN said that it had confirmed that when SPLA in Opposition forces captured Bentiu on 15 and 16 April, they searched a number of places where hundreds of South Sudanese and foreign civilians had taken refuge and killed hundreds of the civilians after determining their ethnicity or nationality.

“At Bentiu Hospital, on 15 April, several Nuer men, women and children were killed for hiding and declining to join other Nuers who had gone out to cheer the SPLA in Opposition forces as they entered the town. Individuals from other South Sudanese communities, as well as Darfuris, were specifically targeted and killed at the hospital,” says the statement.  

“On the same day, the SPLA in Opposition forces entered the Kali-Ballee Mosque where civilians had taken shelter, separated individuals of certain nationalities and ethnic groups and escorted them to safety, while the others were killed.  More than 200 civilians were reportedly killed and over 400 wounded at the Mosque. At the Catholic church and at the vacated WFP compound, SPLA in Opposition soldiers similarly asked civilians who had taken refuge there to identify their ethnic origins and nationalities and proceeded to target and kill several individuals,” reads the statement.

Between 15 and 17 April, UNMISS extracted hundreds of civilians under threat in several places in Bentiu and Rubkona where they had taken refuge. Over 500 civilians, including many wounded, were extracted from the Bentiu Hospital and other places. The population of the camp at their base swelled to over 20,000, the UN Humanitarian Coordinator said yesterday.  

The UN stated that the atrocities will be investigated and the “perpetrators and their commanders shall be held accountable.” The peacekeepers called on the rebels and the government to stop the targeting of unarmed civilians.

Hate speech on radio

UNMISS stated today that it “strongly condemns the use of Radio Bentiu FM by some individuals associated with the opposition to broadcast hate speech.”

“While some SPLA in Opposition commanders did broadcast messages calling for unity and an end to tribalism, others broadcast hate messages declaring that certain ethnic groups should not stay in Bentiu and even calling on men from one community to commit vengeful sexual violence against women from another community,” added the statement.

Radio Bentiu is the only radio station in the state still able to function, other than Radio Tamazuj, which broadcasts to the state one hour per day on shortwave.

Since the crisis started last December, at least seven FM or AM stations went off air in the three states of Unity, Jonglei and Upper Nile, with most of these remaining destroyed or closed.

 

 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Saudi investor to build Africa
A Saudi investor is to build Africa''s tallest building in Morocco, with construction of the 114-storey tower to begin in June, the project''s manager has said....
13-year-old girl with suicide vest arrested
A 13-year-old girl in an explosives vest was arrested in the northern Nigerian city of Kano....
Two Kenyans charged for violently stripping woman
Two Kenyans accused of stripping a woman have been charged with sexual assault, reports say....
Tutu cancels travel plans to battle cancer
South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu has cancelled all travel plans for the rest of the year in order to battle cancer....
Kenya probes Al Jazeera over
Kenya has ordered Al Jazeera to be placed under investigation over a report aired alleging Kenyan police operate death squads....
From
As the battle to succeed her 90-year-old husband heats up, 49-year-old Grace has been elected to a top post....
What is causing the rise in Early child marriages?
Decaying social structures
Poor Education
None of the above
follow us
subscribe to our news letter