today's Pick
Four French journalists 'free' after Syria kidnap
Publish Date: Apr 19, 2014
Four French journalists 'free' after Syria kidnap
A file picture taken on March 11, 2005 in Baghdad showing Liberation newspaper journalist Didier Francois (left) and a picture released on June 7, 2013 by "Haytham Pictures" and taken in Burma on March 19, 2013 of French freelance photographer Edouard Elias. CREDIT/AFP
  • mail
  • img


PARIS - Four French journalists held captive in Syria for almost a year were free and "in good health" on Saturday, President Francois Hollande told AFP, saying they would be back in France within hours.

In a statement to AFP, the president said he had "learned with great relief this morning of the liberation of the four French journalists".

Hollande said the four, who had been held in Syria since 2013, were "in good health despite the very challenging conditions of their captivity".

Thanking "all those who contributed to the successful outcome", the president said the men would return to France "in the coming hours".

Didier Francois, a reporter for Europe 1 radio, and photographer Edouard Elias were taken north of Aleppo on June 6.

A file picture released by his family showing French photographer Pierre Torres (left) and a file picture released by Benoit Schaeffer, showing French reporter Nicolas Henin. CREDIT/AFP

Nicolas Henin, reporter for Point magazine, and freelance photographer Pierre Torres were seized two weeks later in the north of the country, at Raqqa.

It was not immediately clear if they had been freed by their captors or had escaped.

"I share the joy of the families of our compatriots who have endured ... the fear of this trying time," said Hollande.

He reaffirmed his "deep commitment to the freedom of the press, which demands respect for the security and integrity of journalists in their role of providing information."

Hollande said his attention was now with two other French citizens still held in the Sahel region of Africa, reaffirming his "determination" and the "relentless mobilisation of the state's forces to obtain their liberation".


The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
North will be Uganda
President Yoweri Museveni has announced plans to transform northern Uganda into the country's industrial hub to accelerate development in the region that is recovering from the 20-year Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) insurgency....
Bukenya makes U-turn, supports Museveni
The opposition has suffered major setback after former Vice President, Gilbert Bukenya announced he would support President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni in the forthcoming 2016 elections....
Museveni receives UNRA probe report
President Yoweri Museveni has commended the tremendous work done by members of the Judicial Commission of Inquiry into allegations of corruption in the Uganda National Roads’ Authority (UNRA)....
VISION Group has launched a digital version that will allow readers enjoy the digital copies of daily, weekly and regional publications anytime, anywhere...
Otafiire challenger arrested over alleged forgery
Retired captain, Mugabe Dononzio Kahonda, Member of Parliament (MP) aspirant for Ruhinda County, Mitooma district has been arrested over alleged forgery of academic papers....
In pictures: National prayer breakfast
Pictures from the 17th annual national prayer breakfast attended by Kenyan deputy president William Ruto....
Should Makerere University fees policy be reviewed?
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter