National
50,000 children could die in months in S.Sudan: UNICEF
Publish Date: Apr 14, 2014
50,000 children could die in months in S.Sudan: UNICEF
A handout picture released by the United Nations-African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) shows a displaced family riding donkeys as it arrives at the Zam Zam camp for Internally Displaced People (IDP), 10 km southwest of El Fasher in North Darfur, on April 3, 2014. AFP PHOTO
  • mail
  • img
newvision

UNITED NATIONS - Conflict in South Sudan has triggered a serious risk of famine that will kill up to 50,000 children within months if immediate action is not taken, the UN warned on Friday.

The African country has experienced high levels of malnutrition since it gained independence in 2011, UNICEF said, and conditions have worsened since ethnic conflict broke out between troops loyal to President Salva Kiir and supporters of his former deputy Riek Machar.

"Now the ongoing conflict has pushed them to the edge -- unless treatment is scaled up immediately, up to 50,000 children under the age of five are likely to die," the agency said.

It estimates that 3.7 million people are at risk of "food insecurity."

"Sadly, worse is yet to come. If conflict continues, and farmers miss the planting season, we will see child malnutrition on a scale never before experienced here," said Jonathan Veitch, UNICEF representative in South Sudan.

"If we cannot get more funds and better access to reach malnourished children in South Sudan, tens of thousands of under-fives will die."

UNICEF's immediate goal is to treat 150,000 severely malnourished children under five with food supplements, vitamins and water purification tablets, and to help pregnant or nursing women.

To do so, it needs $38 million but has so far raised only $4.6 million.

The United Nations, whose World Food Programme stocks in the country have been looted, has warned that the fighting puts in danger harvests that are crucial to staving off a worse humanitarian disaster.

Nearly 900,000 people have been displaced by the conflict.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Nasasira not running in 2016 MP race
Eng. John Nasasira, 63, has said that he will not participate in the 2016 general elections, citing health-related reasons...
Uganda to participate in EAC regional festival
While flagging off the Ugandan Team on Friday last week, Wilson Muruli Mukasa, the Minister of Gender, Labour and Social Development (MGLSD) said the fest intends to provide a platform to showcase for art and culture as primary drivers of regional integration and sustainable development....
Top general assassinated in Burundi
A top Burundian general and close aide to President Pierre Nkurunziza was killed Sunday in a rocket attack on his car in the capital Bujumbura, officials and witnesses said....
NFA, NEMA organize Miss Earth Uganda 2015
The National Forestry Authority (NFA) in conjunction with National Environmental Management Authority (Nema) is organizing beauty pageant that aims to promote environmental awareness...
Kabale town gets sh3bn road touch-up
The government is tarmacking the main street of Kabale town at a cost of sh3bn, a moved that has attracted mixed reactions....
Club patron attacked at Guvnor, dies of injuries
The famous night spot, Guvnor, in Industrial Area, was Sunday morning the scene of an unfortunate incident when a patron died of his injuries after he was smashed with a glass....
Should faith based organisations be registered as Non-government organisations?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter