World
French ambassador barred from Rwanda genocide commemorations
Publish Date: Apr 07, 2014
French ambassador barred from Rwanda genocide commemorations
Former French Prime Minister Alain Juppe, Mayor of Bordeaux, speaks to the media in front of the city hall on April 7, 2014, two days after the French government announced that it was pulling out of Mondays commemorations in Kigali after Rwandan President Paul Kagame again accused France, an ally of the Hutu nationalist government prior to the 1994 killings, of having helped the slaughter of 800,000 ethnic Tutsis take place. Juppe, right-wing ruling party member, was in charge of the
  • mail
  • img
newvision

KIGALI (AFP) - The French ambassador to Rwanda said Monday he has been barred from attending events marking the 20th anniversary of the genocide, amid a major diplomatic row surrounding France's controversial role in the events of 1994.

"Yesterday night the Rwandan foreign ministry telephoned to inform me that I was no longer accredited for the ceremonies," the French ambassador, Michel Flesch, told AFP.

French Justice Minister Christiane Taubira pulled out of attending Monday's events after Rwandan President Paul Kagame repeated his accusation of French "participation" in the murder of 800,000 ethnic Tutsis.

France, an ally of the Hutu nationalist government prior to the 1994 killings, has repeatedly denied any complicity in the genocide.

Although choosing not to send a minister, France had said its ambassador would attend -- a major diplomatic downgrading of its attendance.

Rwandan Foreign Minister Louise Mushikiwabo on Sunday told France to face up to the "difficult truth" over its actions two decades ago.

"For our two countries to really start getting along, we will have to face the truth, the truth is difficult, the truth of being close to anybody who is associated with genocide understandably is a very difficult truth to accept," Mushikiwabo said.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Obama: Sony hack was not
North Korea''s alleged hack of Sony Pictures was not an act of war, President Barack Obama said in an interview aired Sunday....
Obama: Russia
President Barack Obama hits back at foreign policy critics, brushing off claims he had been naively outmaneuvered by Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin...
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu on Sunday accused the European Union of starting a "dirty campaign" against Turkey by criticising the arrests of opponents of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan....
Rival Libya govt urges foreigners to return to Tripoli
Libya's Islamist-backed rival government called Sunday for diplomats and foreign firms to return to Tripoli, pledging to protect them despite an attack on the empty home of the Swiss ambassador....
Pakistan hangs four more militants after school attack
Pakistan on Sunday executed four more militants after ending a six-year moratorium on the death penalty following a Taliban school attack that killed 149 people...
US considers putting North Korea on terror list
The United States is mulling whether or not to place North Korea back onto its list of state sponsors of terrorism, President Barack Obama said Sunday....
Do you agree with the ban on the export of maids?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter