World
UK holds China's Cheng over 'Iran' exports ban 'breach'
Publish Date: Apr 05, 2014
UK holds China's Cheng over 'Iran' exports ban 'breach'
File photo of Heathrow Airport
  • mail
  • img
newvision

LONDON  - Britain is holding a Chinese national who is wanted in the United States on suspicion of conspiring to evade a goods export ban, London police said Saturday.

Cheng Sihai, 34, was arrested in February at London Heathrow Airport. The BBC said he faces allegations of conspiracy to export devices to Iran that could be used in uranium enrichment.

London's Metropolitan Police force said Cheng had already appeared at a court in the capital and was awaiting his next appearance.

"On February 7, Cheng Sihai, aged 34, was arrested by Met Police officers at Heathrow Airport in connection with alleged offences in the United States of conspiracy to evade the prohibition on the export of goods," a spokesman told AFP.

"Cheng Sihai, a Chinese national, was arrested on a provisional arrest warrant issued at Westminster Magistrates Court on February 7.

"He was taken into police custody and later appeared at Westminster Magistrates Court where he was remanded in custody. We await the date of his next court appearance."

The BBC said Shanghai-based Cheng is suspected of conspiring with an Iranian figure to supply US-made pressure transducers to Iran illegally via China.

Western powers and Israel suspect Iran is covertly pursuing a nuclear weapons capability alongside its civilian programme, charges adamantly denied by Tehran.

Iran's oil-reliant economy has struggled under US-led sanctions aimed at curtailing its nuclear ambitions.

The so-called P5 plus 1 group -- Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States plus Germany -- hopes to reach a final accord with Iran by July 20 which would lift all sanctions in exchange for Iran scaling back its programme to the point where it would be difficult if not impossible to develop nuclear weapons.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Aftershocks cause more terror as Nepal quake toll tops 2,300
Powerful aftershocks rocked Nepal Sunday, panicking survivors of a quake that killed more than 2,300 and triggering fresh avalanches at Everest base camp, as rescuers dug through rubble in the devastated capital Kathmandu....
KUTESA: Mobilizing Resources for the Post-2015  Development Agenda
The President of the United Nations General Assembly Sam Kutesa has outlined a new universal development agenda that presents a collective commitment to humankind and the planet....
Google executive killed on Mt. Everest
A Google executive and self-described adventurer is among 10 people killed at a Mount Everest base camp in an avalanche....
Frantic search for Nepal quake survivors as toll nears 2,000
Rescuers in Nepal searched frantically Sunday for survivors of a huge quake that killed nearly 2,000, digging through rubble....
Nepal earthquake: More than 1,000 killed
International aid groups rush to respond to a massive earthquake in Nepal that claimed more than 1,000 lives....
French president warns Indonesia of
French President Francois Hollande warned Saturday that Indonesia faced diplomatic "consequences" if it pushes ahead with the planned execution of Frenchman Serge Atlaoui over drug trafficking offences....
Do you support KCCA'S move to return city communter buses?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter