today's Pick
UN Mission in DR Congo prepares withdrawal
Publish Date: Apr 04, 2014
UN Mission in DR Congo prepares withdrawal
UN peacekeepers in DRC
  • mail
  • img
newvision

KINSHASA - The UN peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo said Wednesday it is preparing a gradual withdrawal from the country despite the continued presence of dozens of armed groups.

Late last month, the UN Security Council renewed the mandate for one more year of its stabilisation mission in DR Congo (MONUSCO) and its intervention brigade charged with "neutralising" foreign and domestic armed groups.

The latest resolution (2147) contains "a new idea ... to prepare for the departure of MONUSCO, to prepare for ... a strategy of withdrawal," mission chief Martin Kobler told a press conference in Kinshasa.

"We will not leave tomorrow. It's a gradual process. But it's clear that we should define the parameters, the criteria that must be achieved before MONUSCO leaves the country," he said.

Since late 2013, most of MONUSCO's 20,000 troops have been based in the east where armed groups have been particularly prevalent.

According to Resolution 2147, UN Secretary General Ban ki-Moon must present recommendations for the redeployment of peacekeeping forces by the end of the year.

Despite increasing troop numbers and a broadening mandate since a UN peacekeeping mission was first sent to the country in 1999, the "blue helmets" and the Congolese army have struggled to bring peace to a country the size of western Europe.

MONUSCO had a budget of $1.5 billion (1.1 billion euros) per year, although this has been halved under the latest resolution.

UN missions have long faced criticism for failing to protect civilians in the DR Congo, although perceptions have improved since an offensive by the Congolese army, supported by the United Nations, defeated the M23 rebel group in November.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
40,000 children die of diarrhoea, pneumonia annually
Over 40,000 children die every year from diarrhoea and pneumonia, accounting for 25% of all deaths among children....
Grateful to US, Syrian Kurds name baby
Sultan Muslim, a Syrian Kurd, had no doubt what to name her seventh child when he was born, safely in Turkey....
Museveni responds to Ssemogerere interview
President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has responded to various issues raised by former Democratic Party president Paul Ssemogerere’s in an interview with the Sunday Monitor of September 28....
Hundreds of thousands of Ebola vaccine doses could be rolled out to West Africa by mid-2015, the World Health Organization said Friday, after a new case of the virus was reported in New York and a two-year-old girl died in the first case in Mali....
Museveni directs Makerere on accurate fees structure
President Yoweri Museveni has given the Makerere University leadership up to the end of this month to furnish him with the unit cost of educating each student, with the purpose of establishing an accurate fees structure for the institution....
OPM officials refund scam cash
A number of officials from the Office of the Prime Minister implicated in the multibillion financial scam have refunded....
Should diplomatic passports issued to ex-govt workers be with drawn?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter