today's Pick
ICC postpones Kenyatta trial to October
Publish Date: Apr 01, 2014
ICC postpones Kenyatta trial to October
Kenyas president Uhuru Kenyatta at the Hague in 2011
  • mail
  • img
newvision

THE HAGUE - The International Criminal Court set a new date for the opening of Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta's trial on Monday, saying the Oct. 7 start would give the Kenyan government more time to provide evidence in the case.

Prosecutors allege their witnesses against Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto, on trial on similar charges, have been bribed or threatened into withdrawing their testimony.

They say Kenyatta's government has not done all it can to turn over incriminating evidence against him and want access to his phone and banking records, which they believe could shore up a case weakened by the loss of that testimony.

Prosecutors accuse Kenyatta of orchestrating the wave of deadly violence that swept Kenya after the country's 2007 elections, claiming 1,200 lives, but their case has been weakened by the loss of several key witnesses.

"The purpose of the adjournment is to provide the government of Kenya with a further, time-limited opportunity to provide certain records, which the prosecution had previously requested," the court said in a statement.

The Kenyatta case has driven a wedge between the court's backers in Europe and Africa, where many accuse the 11-year-old institution of singling out Africans for prosecution.

Many western countries are torn between the desire to support the court and their desire to keep East Africa's economic powerhouse on side in the struggle against Islamic militancy in neighbouring Somalia.

Kenyatta, elected president last year after a campaign in which the ICC charges he faced played a central role, has cooperated with the court even as he has led a diplomatic push to have the case against him postponed or dropped entirely.

Reuters
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
DOZENS of people have been killed in clashes between two Arab tribes in Sudan's troubled western region of Darfur, witnesses from the rival camps said...
AMISOM to leave Somalia in 2016 - envoy
The African Mission to Somalia (AMISOM), a peace keeping mission operated by the African Union would be leaving Somalia in 2016, according to the latest assessment by stakeholders...
Japan man is world
A Japanese man born months before the Wright brothers carried out the first human flight was recognised Wednesday as the world''s oldest male at the age of 111....
Vision Group
At least 15 tech-savvy journalists have been deployed to man social media during the much-anticipated fourth edition of Vision Group’s Pakasa Forum this Saturday....
MPs grill minister Byandala over Katosi road fund
The transport minister further parts curtains on his role in the sh24b paid by UNRA to a shadowy American company as advance payment to upgrade the Mukono-Kyetume- Katosi road...
Pope
Three relatives of Pope Francis, two great nephews and their mother, have been killed in a traffic accident in Argentina, police said Tuesday....
Will strict traffic laws reduce road accidents?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter