today's Pick
ICC postpones Kenyatta trial to October
Publish Date: Apr 01, 2014
ICC postpones Kenyatta trial to October
Kenyas president Uhuru Kenyatta at the Hague in 2011
  • mail
  • img
newvision

THE HAGUE - The International Criminal Court set a new date for the opening of Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta's trial on Monday, saying the Oct. 7 start would give the Kenyan government more time to provide evidence in the case.

Prosecutors allege their witnesses against Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto, on trial on similar charges, have been bribed or threatened into withdrawing their testimony.

They say Kenyatta's government has not done all it can to turn over incriminating evidence against him and want access to his phone and banking records, which they believe could shore up a case weakened by the loss of that testimony.

Prosecutors accuse Kenyatta of orchestrating the wave of deadly violence that swept Kenya after the country's 2007 elections, claiming 1,200 lives, but their case has been weakened by the loss of several key witnesses.

"The purpose of the adjournment is to provide the government of Kenya with a further, time-limited opportunity to provide certain records, which the prosecution had previously requested," the court said in a statement.

The Kenyatta case has driven a wedge between the court's backers in Europe and Africa, where many accuse the 11-year-old institution of singling out Africans for prosecution.

Many western countries are torn between the desire to support the court and their desire to keep East Africa's economic powerhouse on side in the struggle against Islamic militancy in neighbouring Somalia.

Kenyatta, elected president last year after a campaign in which the ICC charges he faced played a central role, has cooperated with the court even as he has led a diplomatic push to have the case against him postponed or dropped entirely.

Reuters
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
US considers putting North Korea on terror list
The United States is mulling whether or not to place North Korea back onto its list of state sponsors of terrorism, President Barack Obama said Sunday....
‘Help students choose careers of their interest’
Inadequate counseling and career guidance services in schools has been pointed out as a big problem hindering learners from pursuing their careers....
Real Madrid win Club World Cup in Morocco
Real Madrid defeated San Lorenzo of Argentina 2-0 on Saturday to win the Club World Cup and secure their fourth trophy of 2014....
Bayern
Bayern Munich will start 2015 with a record 11-point lead in the Bundesliga, sparking debate over how to stop Germany's top flight becoming boring....
North Korea seeks joint probe into Sony hack
North Korea on Saturday called for a joint investigation with the United States into a crippling cyber attack on Sony Pictures, claiming it had means to prove Pyongyang had nothing to do with it....
Obama to N. Korea over Sony hack:
US President Barack Obama has warned North Korea it would face retaliation for a crippling cyber attack on Sony Pictures over an irreverent film comedy that infuriated Pyongyang....
Do you agree with the ban on the export of maids?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter