World
Nairobi blasts kill at least six in Eastleigh
Publish Date: Apr 01, 2014
Nairobi blasts kill at least six in Eastleigh
A woman is treated by a medic on March 31, 2014 before being taken to a hospital after being injured in an explosion in the main Somali district of Nairobi. PHOTO BY AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

NAIROBI - Kenyan police have arrested more than 650 suspects a day after six people were killed in bomb attacks in the capital Nairobi, the interior minister said Tuesday, in a crackdown on suspected Islamist insurgents.
 
"This act of cowardice perpetrated against innocent and peace-loving Kenyans who were going about their normal activities is barbaric," Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku said in a statement.
 
"So far 657 suspects have been apprehended," he added.
 
Kenyan police regularly arrest scores of people after similar attacks in sweeping security operations, but later release most after questioning.
 
The three blasts on Monday evening targeted two small restaurants and a local clinic in a particularly densely populated area of Eastleigh, an area often known as Little Mogadishu because of its predominantly Somali population.
 
"We are here at a crime scene. Of course we suspect it is a terrorist attack," Nairobi police commander Benson Kibue told reporters on Monday night.
 
"The injuries number 25 -- they are in various hospitals -- and we have retrieved six bodies," he said.
 
Police were still trying to establish the type of explosives used, with Kibue saying one of the blasts might have been a homemade bomb and other witnesses at the scene of the different attacks saying one or more grenades were thrown.
 
Eastleigh has in recent years been the scene of several explosions usually attributed by the police to Islamist extremists.
 
Rescue workers wanted to retrieve parts from bodies blown apart by the biggest blast, but police, present at the scene in large numbers, had cordoned off the area and were first searching it for further possible explosives, an AFP photographer at the scene said.
 
The blasts came as people made their way home for the evening, some stopping for a bite to eat.
 
Relatives console each other at the scene of an explosion on March 31, 2014 in the main Somali district of Nairobi which left at least six people dead and scores injured, raising suspicions of terrorism. PHOTO BY AFP
 
The attack comes a week after six people died when assailants burst into a church in the Likoni district close to the port city of Mombasa and opened fire on worshippers.
 
The latest attacks have happened amid heightened warnings of a threat of Islamist violence in Kenya and despite boosted security in major cities.
 
A suspected assailant was killed on Sunday when an explosive device he was making blew up in his face.
 
The discovery earlier this month of an explosive-laden vehicle parked at a police station in a district of Mombasa, and the revelation that the police only searched it six days after impounding it and arresting its occupants added to the climate of insecurity.
 
Kibue assured the public that those behind Monday's attack will be brought to justice.
 
"Rest assured, whoever has done this thing, we will get them. There is no need to panic. We are on top of these issues," he said.
 
Kenya has been hit by a series of attacks since sending troops into southern Somalia in October 2011 to battle Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab insurgents.
 
The Islamists claimed responsibility for the most deadly attack, in which they laid siege to Nairobi's upmarket shopping mall Westgate in September, killing at least 67.
 
Dozens of other smaller attacks, most of them in the capital, on the coast or in the eastern and northeastern regions bordering Somalia, have been attributed to Shebab sympathisers.
 
AFP
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
139 grave sites, 28 trafficking camps found in Malaysia
A total of 139 grave sites and 28 human-trafficking camps have been found in a remote northern Malaysian border region....
US says Iraqi forces lack will to fight IS
Washington has accused Iraqi forces of lacking the will to fight the Islamic State group, which scored a resounding victory a week earlier with the capture of Ramadi....
China
Chinese officials have been sent on prison tours visiting inmates including former colleagues as a warning against corruption....
Australia to bring home Vietnam war dead
Australian soldiers killed in the Vietnam war and buried in Malaysia and Singapore will be brought home with full military honours if their families agree....
Angry man flushes wife
A Japanese man turned himself in to authorities after trying to flush the ashes of his "hated" dead wife down a supermarket toilet....
Thousands flee after landslide blocks Nepal river
Thousands of panic-stricken villagers fled their homes fearing flash floods after an overnight landslide blocked a river in quake-hit Nepal''s mountainous north-west, officials said Sunday....
Should graduated tax be revived?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter