World
Plane search called off due to bad weather
Publish Date: Mar 27, 2014
Plane search called off due to bad weather
RAAF Flight Engineer Ron Day keeps watch for debris from a AP-3C Orion during a search mission for missing Malaysia Airline flight MH370 in the Southern Indian Ocean on March 26, 2014. CREDIT/AFP (Source: POOL)
  • mail
  • img
newvision

PERTH - The search for wreckage from Flight MH370 was called off Thursday for the second time this week as the weather worsened in the Indian Ocean with planes and ships ordered out of the area.

"Today's search operations have been suspended due to bad weather. All planes are returning to Perth & ships are leaving search area," the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) tweeted.

Six military planes from Australia, China, Japan and the United States were flying sorties along with five civil aircraft, scouring two areas in the remote southern Indian Ocean covering a cumulative 78,000 square kilometres.

Five ships were also in the search zone, including Australia's HMAS Success and Chinese vessels Xue Long, Kunlunshan, Haikou and Qiandaohu.

The international hunt for debris from the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 which crashed on March 8 with 239 people aboard had taken on renewed urgency after new satellite images released Wednesday.

They showed more than 100 floating objects in the area, sparking fresh hopes of a breakthrough, but there was no word from AMSA on whether anything had been seen by the planes or ships before the search was suspended.

Earlier Thursday, Australia's Bureau of Meteorology warned of impending thunderstorms and high winds in the search area 2,500 kilometres (1,550 miles) southwest of Perth.

Towering waves and gale force winds are routinely whipped up in the desolate area where the search is being conducted, with operations also suspended on Tuesday.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Mexico governor steps down over student disappearances
The governor of the Mexican state where 43 students vanished a month ago following a confrontation with police allegedly linked to a major drug cartel has bowed to pressure to stand down....
A doctor who recently returned to New York from treating Ebola patients in Guinea tested positive on Thursday for the deadly virus, the first confirmed case in the city, officials said....
Missing Mexico journalist found shot dead
THE editor of an investigative magazine in violence-wracked northwestern Mexico who disappeared two weeks ago was found dead with gunshot wounds...
Bashir calls opponents for talks
SUDAN'S President Omar al-Bashir has urged opponents to join him in 'national dialogue' talks, days after it was announced he would be seeking re-election...
Mexico says mayor, wife were behind student-teacher disappearances
A Mexican mayor and his wife were "probable masterminds" behind the disappearance of 43 student-teachers last month in the restive southwest, the country's attorney general said on Wednesday....
Canada PM vows crackdown after capital shocked by fatal attacks
Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper vowed to redouble the country's fight against "terrorist organizations" abroad after a reported convert to Islam rampaged through parliament, shocking the usually tranquil capital city....
Should diplomatic passports issued to ex-govt workers be with drawn?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter