today's Pick
Kenya government sued over 2007 election sexual violence
Publish Date: Mar 26, 2014
Kenya government sued over 2007 election sexual violence
Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta and Vice-President William Ruto are still grappling with charges laid by the ICC. AFP Photo
  • mail
  • img
newvision

A group of survivors of sexual violence committed after Kenya's violence-hit 2007 elections took the government to court on Tuesday over its alleged failure to protect them and bring the perpetrators to justice.

The six women and two men, who are supported by a coalition of four human rights organisations, have lodged a complaint in the High Court in Nairobi directed against Kenya's attorney general, director of public prosecutions, and members of the police and public health authorities.

The opening of the case comes as Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta and Vice-President William Ruto are still grappling with charges laid by the International Criminal Court (ICC) over their alleged roles in the 2007-2008 unrest, which left at least a thousand dead.

Ruto's crimes against humanity case is currently being heard in The Hague, although the case against Kenyatta at the ICC appears to be close to collapse because of a lack of witnesses.

In Tuesday's opening hearing, the High Court heard allegations of how security forces deployed during the violence sexually abused women and girls, including in Nairobi's Kibera slum.

"Some of those who were supposed to provide security were the actual perpetrators. Witnesses in Kibera informed... that police officers committed the acts of rape," prominent human rights lawyer Patricia Nyaundi told Justice Isaac Lenaola.

The court also heard how attackers carried out forced circumcisions on male victims, sodomised boys and in some instances forced the termination of pregnancies, and Nyaundi said the state had failed to take adequate measures to ensure the victims' rights were protected.

According to Physicians for Human Rights, one of the groups backing the case, the petition to the High Court is "premised on the notion that the primary responsibility to protect citizens and provide redress when rights are violated lies with each sovereign state."

"In this instance, the government of Kenya bears legal responsibility entrenched in the country's constitution and international and regional human rights treaties adopted by Kenya to enact and enforce laws, establish effective complaint mechanisms, and support competent tribunals that prohibit and sanction sexual violence," the group said in a statement.

It said it wanted to see the Kenyan government "promptly and impartially investigate, prosecute, and punish alleged perpetrators", "provide adequate compensation to victims" and "ensure that survivors have adequate access to medical services and psychological care."

Rights groups say the case, which has been pending since February 2013, is aimed at highlighting the suffering of more than 900 people who complained at having suffered incidents of sexual violence following the 2007 elections.

The 2007 election unrest erupted after Mwai Kibaki was re-elected president, a result challenged as rigged by the opposition. At the time current President Kenyatta was in the Kibaki camp and his now ally Ruto supported the challenger Raila Odinga.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Emails to and from President Barack Obama were read by Russian hackers last year....
Nepal earthquake: More than 1,000 killed
International aid groups rush to respond to a massive earthquake in Nepal that claimed more than 1,000 lives....
Youth unfazed as AK47
During the burial of his son Emmanuel Mayanja aka AK47 on March 20, 2015, mzee Gerald Myanja pleaded with government to save the young generation including his sons from the enslavement of marijuana commonly known as weed!...
Indonesia issues execution orders for Australians, Filipino
Two Australian drug traffickers and a Filipino woman were on Saturday given official notification by Indonesia that they will be executed, but with no given date, reports and a lawyer said....
Jose Mourinho ramped up his long-running war of words with Arsene Wenger on Friday as the Chelsea manager hit back at criticism from his Arsenal counterpart....
Man who shot Reagan
Staff treating the man who shot US president Ronald Reagan testified Friday that he was "ready" for life outside the mental hospital and is so extensively trailed by the Secret Service that the government can know where he is anytime....
Do you support KCCA'S move to return city communter buses?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter