National
NWSC clarifies on Mulago water supply disconnection
Publish Date: Mar 25, 2014
NWSC clarifies on Mulago water supply disconnection
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Jeff Andrew Lule

NATIONAL Water Sewerage Corporation (NWSC) management has refuted reports that it disconnected water supply to Mulago Hospital.

Speaking to New Vision at their offices yesterday, the agency’s manager public relations and communications, Sarah Namuwenge said they only disconnected other departments within the hospital premises but not the main hospital as alleged.

“We disconnected other departments like the Medical and Nursing Schools among others. They have different service lines and it is what we disconnected. The main hospital was not affected by our operations,” she said.

She said all bills of other departments are supposed to be paid by Ministry of Health and will not be reconnected until they are cleared.

Namuwenge stressed that water is a key resource in the operations of the hospital like anyother health facility and disconnecting it would affect its operations.

“There is no need for alarm. Our major role is to save people’s lives through providing safe and clean water. Disconnecting the hospital would automatically affect the facility’s operations thus leading to loss of people’s lives,” she noted.

She said they are already in talks with the hospital management to see how the bills will be cleared. Namuwenge said their team was also on the ground to check low pressures at the facility.

The NWSC last week disconnected water supply from some parts of the hospital over unpaid bills amounting to over sh6bn.

The managing director NWSC, Dr. Silver Mugisha, said they intend to expand water services from 40 to 80 districts in the next five years.

“That is why we urge our people to desist from illegal connections. This affects our operation like our expansion plan,” Mugisha noted.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Cambridge exams: results out
Cambridge examinations results were recently released and candidates in schools that sit for this set of examinations can now apply to institutions of higher learning....
Shebab attack African Union base in Somalia
Somalia''s Al-Qaeda-affiliated Shebab militants rammed a suicide car bomb into an African Union base Tuesday before storming the compound, with witnesses reporting many dead, although the AU insisted it had fought off the attack....
USE launches automated trading system
The Uganda Securities Exchange (USE) is now officially trading using an internet enabled automated trading system....
Gov
The Uganda Institute of Information and Communication Technology (UICT), cannot fully execute its constitutional mandate due to inadequate funding....
Poor parliamentary debates blamed on removal of school debates
The assistant commissioner for youth and children affairs, Kyateka Mondo, has attributed the increasing poor debating on issues in parliament to the removal of debates in schools...
Another Catholic priest dies, laid to rest
A Catholic priest, Fr. Emmanuel Mboggo Nsubuga, 76, who succumbed to prostate cancer on Saturday was buried Monday at. St Joseph’s Catholic Parish, Lweza where he had served four years...
Are poor parliamentary debates a result of removal of school debates?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter