World
Chinese MH370 relatives threaten 'hunger strike'Publish Date: Mar 18, 2014
Chinese MH370 relatives threaten 'hunger strike'
  • mail
  • img
Chinese relatives of passengers from the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 leave after a meeting with airline officials at the Metro Park Lido Hotel in Beijing on March 17, 2014. AFP PHOTO/Mark RALSTON
newvision

BEIJING - Desperate relatives of Chinese passengers aboard flight MH370 threatened to go on hunger strike Tuesday as they demanded answers about the missing aircraft from Malaysian officials.

"Now we have no news, and everyone is understandably worried. The relatives say they will go to the (Malaysian) embassy to find the ambassador," said Wen Wancheng, whose son was aboard the missing flight.

"The Malaysian ambassador should be presenting himself here. But he's not," Wen said, updating reporters after a regular meeting between Malaysia Airlines officials and family members at a hotel in Beijing.

"Relatives are very unsatisfied. So you hear them saying 'hunger strike'," added the 63-year-old from the eastern province of Shandong, speaking as the search entered its 11th day.

Two-thirds of the passengers on the flight, which had 239 people on board, were Chinese.

Outside the meeting room, a woman clutching a placard reading "Respect life. Give us back our families" told reporters that the relatives were going on hunger strike.

She declined to say how many were doing so, or give her name.

"Since they haven't given us the truth about those people's lives, all of us are protesting," the woman said furiously.

"All the relatives are facing mental breakdowns," she added.

Wen also said some of the relatives had stopped going to the meetings, given how long they had been waiting for information.

"It doesn't mean giving up," he added. "It's normal to return home. Like me, I have been out for a long time."

Beijing has been critical of Malaysia's sharing of information, with state media and China's huge army of netizens in expressing anger at the handling of the incident by Kuala Lumpur.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Fears grow of Ebola spreading to Europe
FEARS that the west African Ebola outbreak could spread to Europe are growing with a leading medical charity warning the epidemic is out of control...
Airline suspends flights to Ebola hit countries
PAN-AFRICAN airline ASKY suspended all flights to and from the capitals of Liberia and Sierra Leone over the worsening Ebola health crisis...
Israeli strikes kill 32 across Gaza
ISRAELI bombardments in the early hours of Wednesday killed 32 Palestinians in Gaza, including 20 at a UN school, medics said...
Violence soars in Gaza as world pleads for truce
BLOODSHED in and around Gaza surged Tuesday with strikes killing 26 Palestinians, including at least four children, as Israel announced the deaths of five more soldiers...
US President Barack Obama has warned that the future stability of the world depends on African nations achieving prosperity and self-reliance, in an address to youth leaders from the continent....
Second attack by female suicide bomber injures 6 in Nigeria
A second attack by a female suicide bomber outside a shopping centre in Nigeria''s Kano city injured six people on Monday after a similar blast killed three people at a petrol station, police said....
Should private schools and institutions be given tax exemption?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter