World
Missing plane relatives warn of 'hunger strike'
Publish Date: Mar 18, 2014
Missing plane relatives warn of 'hunger strike'
Relatives of passengers from missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 look at a bulletin board for information at a hotel in Beijing on March 18, 2014. PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

BEIJING - Desperate relatives of Chinese passengers aboard flight MH370 are threatening to go on hunger strike Tuesday as they demand answers about the missing aircraft from Malaysian officials.

"Now we have no news, and everyone is understandably worried. The relatives say they will go to the (Malaysian) embassy to find the ambassador," said Wen Wancheng, whose son was aboard the missing flight.

"The Malaysian ambassador should be presenting himself here. But he's not," Wen said, updating reporters after a regular meeting between Malaysia Airlines officials and family members at a hotel in Beijing.

"Relatives are very unsatisfied. So you hear them saying 'hunger strike'," added the 63-year-old from the eastern province of Shandong, speaking as the search entered its 11th day.

Two-thirds of the passengers on the flight, which had 239 people on board, were Chinese.

Outside the meeting room, a woman clutching a placard reading "Respect life. Give us back our families" told reporters that the relatives were going on hunger strike.

She declined to say how many were doing so, or give her name.

"Since they haven't given us the truth about those people's lives, all of us are protesting," the woman said furiously.

"All the relatives are facing mental breakdowns," she added.

Wen also said some of the relatives had stopped going to the meetings, given how long they had been waiting for information.

"It doesn't mean giving up," he added. "It's normal to return home. Like me, I have been out for a long time."

Beijing has been critical of Malaysia's sharing of information, with state media and China's huge army of netizens in expressing anger at the handling of the incident by Kuala Lumpur.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Greece could seek legal action against euro exit: report
Greece could seek legal action to stop the country being forced out of the eurozone if it fails to seal a debt deal...
European Commission head Jean Claude Juncker Monday urged Greece to vote "yes" in a referendum on bailout proposals or leave the euro as a bank shutdown ordered by Athens left the Greeks desperately scrambling for cash....
African Union says will not be observer in crisis-hit Burundi
The African Union announced it would not act as an observer in Monday's parliamentary polls in Burundi, saying the conditions were not right for "credible elections" after weeks of violent protests and international calls for the vote to be delayed....
Polling stations open for Burundi elections
SOME 3.8 million Burundians are eligible to vote in the polls, which the opposition and civil society society groups are boycotting, claiming they will not be free and fair...
French attack suspect begins to talk as gruesome
French authorities were transferring the man suspected of beheading his boss in an alleged jihadist attack to Paris on Sunday, as it emerged he sent a macabre "selfie" of the decapitation....
8 killed in ADF attack in DRC
FIVE civilians and three soldiers were killed in an attack by rebels on a Congolese army camp near Beni in the restive east of the country...
With Eddie Kenzo’s win at the BET awards, is Ugandan music being recognized worldwide?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter