World
US offers $3m reward for Somali terror suspects
Publish Date: Mar 15, 2014
US offers $3m reward for Somali terror suspects
Shebab insurgents claimed responsibility for the September shock attack on a Nairobi shopping mall that left 67 people dead. PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

WASHINGTON - US officials offered a $3 million reward Friday for help in capturing three notorious Somali terror suspects, including one linked to Al-Qaeda extremists involved in the 1998 US embassy bombings in Africa.

"The department has authorized rewards of up to $3 million each for information leading to the arrest or conviction of Abdulkadir Mohamed Abdulkadir, Jafar and Yasin Kilwe," the State Department said in a statement.

Abdulkadir, a Kenyan of Somali origin who is a foreign fighter with Shebab extremists and goes by the alias Ikrima, was the target of a failed US Navy SEALs assault in Somalia in October.

Shebab insurgents are believed to have killed thousands of civilians, peacekeepers and aid workers in Africa since 2006, with the group claiming responsibility for September's shock attack on a Nairobi shopping mall that left 67 people dead.

"Al-Shebab's terrorist activities pose a threat to the stability of East Africa and to the national security interests of the United States," said the State Department, which designated the group a foreign terrorist organization in 2008.

Ikrima is missing three fingers on his left hand, while Jafar is reportedly missing one eye, according to the reward offer.

US officials have linked Ikrima to two now deceased Al-Qaeda operatives who played roles in the 1998 bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Drugmakers to join forces to make millions of Ebola vaccine doses
Leading drugmakers plan to work together to speed up the development of an Ebola vaccine and hope to produce millions of doses for use next year....
Rwanda imposes Ebola checks on US travellers
RWANDA has boosted travel restrictions to stem the spread of the Ebola virus, ordering travellers who have been in the United States and Spain to send daily updates...
Bashir to run for re-election
SUDANESE President Omar al-Bashir - in power since a 1989 coup - will stand for re-election in 2015 after being retained Tuesday as leader of the ruling National Congress Party...
Paralysed man walks again after breakthrough treatment
A paralysed man can walk again after receiving revolutionary treatment which one of the British scientists responsible hailed as a breakthrough "more impressive than a man walking on the Moon" - although others urged caution....
Pistorius to learn sentence for killing girlfriend
SOUTH African Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius today learns his sentence for shooting dead his girlfriend on Valentine's Day last year...
Warring S.Sudan leaders accept
SOUTH Sudan President Salva Kiir and his arch-rival rebel chief Riek Machar have accepted mutual responsibility for a 10-month civil war...
Was Oscar Pistorius' 5 year sentence fair and just?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter