World
French court sentences Rwandan over genocide
Publish Date: Mar 15, 2014
French court sentences Rwandan over genocide
An undated file picture released by Interpol shows Pascal Simbikangwa, a former Rwandan army captain arrested on the French island of Mayotte in 2008. CREDIT/AFP (Source: Interpol)
  • mail
  • img
newvision

PARIS - A French court sentenced a former Rwandan army captain to 25 years in prison over the 1994 genocide Friday, in a landmark ruling just weeks ahead of the massacre's 20th anniversary.

Pascal Simbikangwa, a 54-year-old former member of the Rwandan presidential guard, was found guilty of perpetrating genocide and of complicity in crimes against humanity.

Prosecutors in the trial -- the first of its kind in France -- have asked for life imprisonment for Simbikangwa, branding him an ethnic "cleanser" who was "radically committed" to his work and a "man capable of the worst".

The defence had requested he be acquitted, saying the trial was politically motivated and describing witnesses as unreliable and guided by spite, indoctrination or fear.

The defendant himself, who denied all charges against him, took the stand one last time on Friday morning, calling on the court to recognise his "innocence".

"In a few moments you will be alone with your conscience, you are called upon to decide my fate," he told the jury.

"To all Tutsi victims, I am thinking of them. Sorry for the weaknesses of my condition that did not allow me to help you like I would have wanted to," he said.

The jury then retired to deliberate their verdict on events that took place two decades ago in the small central African country, some 6,000 kilometres (3,700 miles) away.

The trial was being closely watched in France, which has long been accused of failing to rein in the Rwandan regime at the time of the genocide between April and July 1994 that left 800,000 dead.

And in a rare case for France, it is being filmed, with recordings due to be available once the case is concluded.

Simbikangwa, who is in a wheelchair after a 1986 car accident left him paraplegic, was accused of inciting, organising and aiding massacres during the genocide, particularly by supplying arms and instructions to Hutu militia who were manning road blocks and killing Tutsi men, women and children.


Rwandan genocide-hunters Alain Gauthier (L) and his wife Dafroza leave the Paris courthouse on March 14, 2014 following the verdict of the first trial on Rwanda's genocide. PHOTO/AFP


Lawyer Fabrice Epstein adresses the media on Friday at the Paris courthouse, following the verdict. PHOTO/AFP

He was arrested in 2008 on the French Indian Ocean island of Mayotte, after which Paris refused to extradite him to Rwanda and decided to try him under laws that allow French courts to consider cases of genocide.

Defendant 'never saw a corpse'

Over the past six weeks of trial Simbikangwa systematically minimised his role and his understanding of the massacres that were committed in 1994.

To general amazement, he said on the third day of trial that he had never seen a single corpse during the genocide, unleashed mainly on the minority Tutsi community after Hutu president Juvenal Habyarimana was assassinated on April 6, 1994.

Pressed on the subject, he responded that his disability forced him to "lie down a bit" when he went out in cars.

Lawyers for the former army captain have sought to discredit witnesses, saying some had been coerced or that they were prisoners hoping to win shorter sentences.

They have also said that they did not have the means to properly defend Simbikangwa and had not even been able to visit Rwanda to verify prosecution evidence.

And the defendant was found to have saved a certain number of Tutsis.

But witnesses -- even those he saved -- have painted a picture of a man who was closely involved in the genocide, playing a lead role in checkpoints that identified Tutsis, stockpiling weapons at his home and distributing them.

Prosecutor Bruno Sturlese had asked the jury to declare him guilty of genocide, and not only of complicity.

"We will ask ourselves the question of whether or not we will appeal," said defence attorney Fabrice Epstein, denouncing what he called a "political trial".

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Kerry warns South Sudan leader on ceasefire
US Secretary of State John Kerry rang the president of South Sudan on Thursday to warn him to respect an oft-broken ceasefire....
EU ministers to meet on migrant crisis as drowned boy
European Union foreign ministers were set to meet Friday to discuss the continent's escalating migrant crisis, after the father of a Syrian toddler found dead on a beach spoke of how his children "slipped through my hands" as their boat sank....
Migrant crisis: drowned toddler sparks fresh horror
Heart-rending pictures of a toddler''s lifeless body washed ashore on a Turkish beach sparked horror on Wednesday...
AU Chairperson condemns attack on AMISOM base in Somalia
The Chairperson of the Commission, Dr. Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, has condemned in the strongest terms the attack perpetrated by Al Shabaab militants against an AMISOM base in Janale district, lower Shabele region, south west of Mogadishu, on 1 September 2015....
Kidnapped, beaten, sold and raped: the Islamic State group is running an international market in Iraq where Christian and Yazidi women are sold as sexual slaves, a teenager who escaped told AFP Tuesday....
Obama tours glacier to highlight march of climate change
US President Barack Obama views Alaska's monumental Exit Glacier, in a bid to drive home the impact of climate change....
Are poor parliamentary debates a result of removal of school debates?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter