World
Syria foreign minister hospitalised in Beirut
Publish Date: Mar 14, 2014
Syria foreign minister hospitalised in Beirut
Syrias Foreign Minister and head of the Syrian government delegation Walid al-Moallem gestures during a press conference at the United Nations headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
  • mail
  • img
newvision

BEIRUT - Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem, who led the regime's negotiating team at failed peace talks this year, has been admitted to hospital in neighbouring Lebanon, a medical source said Friday.

Muallem, who has been the chief diplomat of President Bashar al-Assad's regime throughout the three-year civil war, is undergoing tests for a suspected blocked coronary artery, the source told AFP.

The 73-year-old diplomat "was admitted to the American University Hospital in Beirut under tight security on Thursday evening," the source said.

"It is very possible that the doctors will decide to carry out open-heart bypass surgery."

Radio Liban Libre reported that Muallem had been brought into the renowned Beirut hospital through an underground car park accompanied by a large number of bodyguards.

The conflict in Syria has deeply polarised Lebanon, with Sunnis largely supporting the rebels and the Shiite Hezbollah movement intervening militarily on the side of Assad's regime.

The rift has seen a spillover of violence into Lebanon, with a spate of bombings claimed by Sunni militants hitting Hezbollah strongholds in south Beirut as well as the eastern Bekaa Valley near the border.

Muallem served as Syrian ambassador in Washington from 1990 to 2000 and became foreign minister in 2006.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
North Korea seeks joint probe into Sony hack
North Korea on Saturday called for a joint investigation with the United States into a crippling cyber attack on Sony Pictures, claiming it had means to prove Pyongyang had nothing to do with it....
Two men burnt alive in DRC after attack
Two men are burnt alive by civilians in the DR Congo''s volatile east after they attacked a military office....
Obama to N. Korea over Sony hack:
US President Barack Obama has warned North Korea it would face retaliation for a crippling cyber attack on Sony Pictures over an irreverent film comedy that infuriated Pyongyang....
N. Korea denies involvement in Sony cyber attack
North Korea's UN mission denies involvement in a cyber attack on Sony Pictures after the US FBI said it had evidence that Pyongyang was behind the hacking....
Vatican shuts down scrollmakers
The Vatican cracks down on the business amid reports of fake parchments being peddled to unwitting tourists for pricey sums....
Boko Haram
Boko Haram has kidnapped at least 185 people, including women and children, in northeast Nigeria, the latest mass abduction in a region where the military has repeatedly struggled to protect civilians, officials and witnesses said Thursday....
Do you agree with the ban on the export of maids?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter