today's Pick
EC not aware of court ruling on rebel MPs
Publish Date: Mar 07, 2014
newvision
  • mail
  • img

By John Semakula

The Electoral Commission (EC) will go on with plans to organise the by-elections to replace ejected rebel MPs until after court has communicated to them.


EC spokesperson, Jotham Taremwa, told New Vision that they are still waiting for the Supreme Court ruling that gave the MPs expelled from NRM party another lifeline in Parliament.

 “Our plans to conduct by-elections are on-going because we have not been served by court ruling yet. If it’s true that court issued an interim order allowing the MPs to go back to Parliament, we shall not defy it. But we don’t want to work on speculations,” Taremwa said.

EC chairperson Eng. Badru Kigunddu had on Thursday announced April 17 as the date for conducting by-elections in the rebel MPs constituencies.

The MPs had been thrown out of Parliament by the Court of Appeal which had also ordered EC to organise by-elections to fill their seats.

But shortly after Kigunddu’s announcement, the Court issued an interim order allowing the MPs to return to Parliament until the main application is disposed of.   

While EC waits for the official communication from Court, the Speaker of Parliament Rebecca Kadaga received it on Thursday immediately after the ruling and called back the four MPs to Parliament.

Trouble for the four rebel MPs started early last year when they were expelled from NRM for contravening the party rules.

 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Food poisoning sickens over 600 villagers
More than 600 Cambodian villagers, mostly school children, fell ill after eating contaminated food provided to a school during an anti-child labour event....
Police investigate death threats to BBC boss
British police were on Sunday investigating death threats against BBC director-general Tony Hall following his decision to popular "Top Gear" presenter Jeremy Clarkson....
Spacecraft docks at ISS for year-long mission
A Russian Soyuz spacecraft with three crew on board has successfully docked at the International Space Station....
Inspector General of Police (IGP), Gen. Kale Kayihura has called for calm following reports of a planned terrorist attack on Kampala....
The UN Security Council on Thursday voted to cut 2,000 troops from the UN peacekeeping force in the Democratic Republic of Congo despite calls from Kinshasa for a bigger drawdown....
DRC pygmies demand end to discrimination
Since colonial times, Pygmies have cohabited uneasily with majority Bantus, who are accused of exploiting the Pygmies....
Will the ban of food vendors help eliminate typhoid?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter