Sport
Boxer Lubega knocked out by South African
Publish Date: Mar 03, 2014
Boxer Lubega knocked out by South African
Joseph Lubega has recorded 24 fights and the latest defeat was his seventh. PHOTO/Samson Opus
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Samson Opus 

Ugandan fighter Joseph 'Joey Vegas' Lubega suffered a major setback after falling to a knockout (KO) against South African Ryno Liebenberg in the World Boxing Council (WBC) International light heavyweight title contest Saturday.

Liebenberg made easy work of the fight as he sent the former champion crushing after only two minutes and 56 seconds in the first round at Emperor’s Palace in Kempton Park.

The devastating blow was the second let down for Lubega inside the first round in his bid to regain the vacant title.

The Ugandan pugilist who promised his opponent of a knockout was the first to go on the receiving end barely three minutes after the gong.

The former Commonwealth silver medalist had previously won the title with a fifth round knockout against Kirt Sinnette of Trinidad and Tobago in the Port-of-Spain in 2012.

The title, however, fell vacant last year after he failed to make a six-month mandatory defence of it.

Many Ugandan boxing fans had hoped their fellow countryman would accomplish the mission at hand, but instead had to watch him taken out by his South African opponent.

Promoter Abbey Arum Mugai who led Lubega to victory in Trinidad and Tobago back in 2012 spoke of the defeat as a huge blow.

“I do not know what happened. I cannot believe myself. This is a big blow to Lubega,” said Mugai.

The result is likely to cost Lubega his 6th place in the WBC rankings which would make it very difficult for him to get a chance for a comeback.

It was the seventh loss for Lubega in his record of 24 fights. He has 16 wins (nine knockouts), 6 losses and one draw 16(KO9)-6-1.

In contrast, his South African opponent improved his clean record further to 15 wins – 11 of them by knockout.   

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Moses Magogo
Federation of Uganda of Football Associations (FUFA) president, Moses Magogo has blamed failure of the team to qualify for the 2015 Africa Nations Cup finals on administrative shortfalls, lack of facilities, technical weakness and lack of good players among others....
FUFA blames media, fans for Cranes
FUFA has chosen to hire officials from countries that are regular at the Africa Nations Cup to advise them on what to do to end decades of Uganda’s absence at the continental showpiece....
Women Football League set to start in February
Twelve teams have so far confirmed their participation in the FUFA National Women’s Football League....
Mbidde rules out giving up roles at NCS, FUFA
Denis Mbidde has ruled out relinquishing any of his roles in the National Council of Sports (NCS) and the football governing body FUFA....
MTN Marathon: Rogue competitors to be kicked out
The Uganda Athletics Federation will put more emphasis on locking out cheats from the MTN Kampala Marathon after discovering that some runners, mostly in the 10km and corporate race events, cheated on Sunday....
George Nsimbe says bye to KCCA
Outgoing KCCA FC coach George Nsimbe has asked the players and fans to have faith and confidence in the technical team he is leaving behind and support them to handle the club....
Should Govt lease parts of Lake Victoria to private developers?
Its Ok
No Way
Not Sure
follow us
subscribe to our news letter