World
China official gets suspended death sentence for graft
Publish Date: Feb 28, 2014
China official gets suspended death sentence for graft
Zhou Zhenhong former chief of the UFWD in China PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

BEIJING - A high-ranking Chinese regional official was given a suspended death sentence for corruption Friday, a court announced, the latest showcase in the country's anti-graft campaign.

Zhou Zhenhong, 56, formerly chief of the United Front Work Department (UFWD) in the southern province of Guangdong, was convicted of taking more than 24.6 million yuan ($4.0 million) in bribes between 2002 and 2011, the high court of Henan in central China said in a statement.

He was condemned to death with a two-year reprieve, a penalty normally commuted to life imprisonment.

Zhou was also found guilty of possessing unexplained assets valued at more than 37 million yuan, the statement said.

The UFWD is an agency that liaises between the ruling Communist Party and non-Communist organisations.

Zhou took bribes from 33 people in exchange for job promotions, business deals and election to political advisory positions, the statement said.

"The value of bribes Zhou Zhenhong took was huge and the circumstances were particularly severe," it said.

Zhou is one of a number of officials who have fallen in a much-publicised crackdown under China's President Xi Jinping, who took the helm as chief of the ruling party in November 2012.

Xi has warned that corruption could destroy the organisation and threatened to stamp down on high-ranking officials, or "tigers", along with low-level "flies".

In July, China sentenced ex-railway minister Liu Zhijun to death with a two year reprieve for taking 64.6 million yuan in bribes.

Although the anti-graft drive has reportedly curbed government extravagance to a certain extent, critics say no systemic reforms have been introduced to increase transparency, which would help fight endemic corruption.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Paralysed man walks again after breakthrough treatment
A paralysed man can walk again after receiving revolutionary treatment which one of the British scientists responsible hailed as a breakthrough "more impressive than a man walking on the Moon" - although others urged caution....
Pistorius to learn sentence for killing girlfriend
SOUTH African Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius today learns his sentence for shooting dead his girlfriend on Valentine's Day last year...
Warring S.Sudan leaders accept
SOUTH Sudan President Salva Kiir and his arch-rival rebel chief Riek Machar have accepted mutual responsibility for a 10-month civil war...
US drone crashes at Niger airport
A US drone crash-landed at Niger's main airport for unknown reasons on Monday, the US army said, forcing the closure of the runway for several hours....
Warring South Sudan rivals meet in Tanzania
WARRING South Sudanese factions were meeting Monday in Tanzania in the latest bid to end a 10-month civil war in which thousands of people have been killed...
WHO declares Nigeria Ebola-free
AFRICA''S most populous nation Nigeria has been declared officially Ebola free but warned that it remained vulnerable as long as the virus was raging elsewhere in west Africa...
Do Ugandan tycoons prepare their children to take over their business empires?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter