National
EC releases programme for MP Kipoi replacement
Publish Date: Feb 26, 2014
EC releases programme for MP Kipoi replacement
Kipoi has missed 15 seatings
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By John Masaba 

The Electoral Commission has released the programme for the Bubulo West by-elections.  

The seat fell vacant after MP Tony Nsubuga Kipoi was thrown out of parliament a week ago. Parliament adopted recommendations by its Rules committee that the MP missed 15 seatings of the House without clear reasons explaining his absence.

Kipoi became the second member of the Ninth Parliament to be kicked out after former Army MP David Sejusa was last year ejected on similar grounds.

A report by the Rules, Privileges and Discipline committee headed by West Budama MP Fox Odoi ruled that Kipoi had defaulted on the voters in Bubulo West, who elected him to Parliament.

The programme which was released today by the EC chairperson, Badru Kigundu, indicates that March 7-14 has been earmarked for the update of voters’ register. This will be followed by the display of the registers between March 9 and 28. 


Nominations of candidates are slated for between March 24 and 25 and this will be followed by campaigns which will be held between March 27 and April 7. The elections will be held on April 10.

Even before EC declared the seat vacant last week, a number of people had already started campaigns. Among those who have come out to declare their intentions to run for the post is suspended Red Cross secretary general, Richard Nataka, and former woman MP for Bubulo, Rose Mutonyi.

Others are Islamic University in Uganda don Abass Samali, former MP Wajusi Washieba and a contestant in previous election, Ronnie Wataka Waluku.

Also interested are former area MP, Gyabi Bukeni; Samali Moiti, a medical officer in Soroti; and Ahamed Wakweya, a lecturer from Nkumba University. 

Kipoi is reported to have been arrested by Congolese forces from an M23 rebel base in the Fataka area, in eastern DR Congo in November last year.

However, the MP later refuted the allegations, saying he fled the country after his bank accounts were frozen by the government.
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Uganda to influence global agenda at UN - VP
The Vice President Edward Kiwanuka Ssekandi has said that Uganda’s position at the UN Assembly has put the country and Africa on the spotlight....
Hundreds of South Sudan child soldiers freed: UN
South Sudanese rebels on Tuesday released 280 child soldiers, the first batch of some 3,000 to be freed but with thousands more still fighting, the UN children's agency said....
Bank of Uganda clarifies on fake note
Bank of Uganda has clarified on a fake note being circulated in the public. The Central Bank in a statement issued Tuesday asked the public to ignore the note....
Huge turn up for Police recruitment in Kampala
There has been a massive turn up for Police recruitment exercise in Kampala. The exercise is taking place at Police Children School in Kibuli....
Gov’t sued in landmark medical
Raymond Mwesiga's "darling kid sister" had much to live for, but when she needed medical help after a car crash, Uganda's overstretched health system fatally failed her....
Win with Bride & Groom magazine
ARE you struggling to find that dream gown because of budget constraints? Do you want your skin to look lighter on your wedding day? The answer to your queries lies in the first issue of Bride & Groom magazine this year...
Is gambling the cause of poverty amomg youth?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter