National
Parliament clarifies Kadaga statement on rebel Mps
Publish Date: Feb 26, 2014
Parliament clarifies Kadaga statement on rebel Mps
Speaker Rebecca Kadaga
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Cyprian Musoke

Parliament has clarified Speaker Rebecca Kadaga’s communication on the Constitutional Court decree following distortion by some sections of the media.


“Following the Speaker’s Tuesday communication about the four Members of Parliament who by the Constitutional Court ruling lost their seats in Parliament, there has been some distortion by some media houses and on social media on the Speaker’s reaction.”

“Parliament would like to categorically state that the Speaker, Rt Hon. Rebecca Kadaga was very clear in her communication to Parliament that she would comply with orders of Court unless there is a stay of this execution,” a statement from the information office this morning stated.
 
Below is the full statement made by the Speaker during her Tuesday communication.


“Honourable Members, I have received a letter from the Hon. Attorney General dated 24th February 2014 in which he forwarded to my office a sealed decree from the Constitutional Court touching on the following Members of Parliament: Hon. Theodore Ssekikubo, Hon. Wilfred Niwagaba, Hon. Mohammed Nsereko and Hon. Barnabas Tinkasimire.”

“In the said decree, I am restrained by the Court from allowing the four Members mentioned to continue sitting in Parliament or to take part in any Parliamentary activity or any of its committees and to stop payment to them of any salaries, allowances, other emoluments and entitlements, save for those that may have accrued to them immediately before the issuance of the Court orders.”

“This is to inform you about the orders of Court to which I am bound to comply in the absence of a stay of execution. I have notified the four Members about the decree and instructed the Clerk to Parliament to act accordingly.”

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Gambian government bans sports betting
The statement says sports betting shops are to stop operations with immediate effect....
Good news in the failed HIV trial
The disappointing results from a trial of a vaginal gel in South Africa will not disappoint researchers, a regional HIV prevention research expert, Dr Patrick Ndase said. Instead, it makes the ongoing trial in Uganda more hopeful for better results...
FDC hails Museveni over Nyombi sacking
The opposition’s Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) has hailed President Yoweri Museveni for dropping Peter Nyombi from Cabinet as Attorney General, saying it was ong overdue....
East African youths want land transfer addressed
This is a general problem with land in our rural community settings in East Africa. It is worsened by the rapid population growth and also by the fact that land is a fixed asset and it is transferred from one generation to another....
Bill Gates tops Forbes Billionaire list 2015
Bill Gates is once again the richest person on the planet, a title he has held for 16 of the past 21 years. His fortune grew $3.2 billion since last year to $79.2 billion....
Namibian president Pohamba wins $5m African prize
Outgoing Namibian President Hifikepunye Pohamba has been announced as the winner of the Mo Ibrahim award for African leadership - a lucrative prize worth millions of dollars....
Do you think government is doing enough to contain the typhoid out break?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter