today's Pick
EAC praises Uhuru, Kagame for using IDs to enter Uganda
Publish Date: Feb 26, 2014
EAC praises Uhuru, Kagame for using IDs to enter Uganda
(From L) Presidents of Kenya, Uhuru Kenyatta, Uganda, Yoweri Museveni, and Rwanda, Paul Kagame, attend the 4th Northern Corridor Integration Projects Summit in Kampala on February 20, 2014. Uganda, Kenya and Rwanda launched the East African Tourist Visa that will see tourists from all over the world using one visa to enter the three neighbouring countries. AFP PHOTO
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By David Lumu

The East African Community lawmakers have saluted the gesture by Presidents, Uhuru Kenyatta (Kenya) and Paul Kagame (Rwanda), to use IDs to enter Uganda to attend the recently concluded EAC summit on the Northern Corridor in Kampala.


Margret Zziwa, the East African Legislative Assembly Speaker said that move by Uhuru and Kagame showed that the East African region was making irreversible progress in the integration agenda.

Zziwa also welcomed the efforts made by EAC partner states to allow free movement of their citizens within the region.

“Already, the Partner States of Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda are making some progress with regards to the use of Identity cards despite few operational hiccups. Last week, none other than President Uhuru Kenyatta and President Paul Kagame travelled to Uganda to attend the Summit of the Northern Corridor Integration Project using their identity cards and this is a step in the right direction,” she said.

Zziwa made the remarks during a parliamentary sitting this week on February 24.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
ICC releases four DR Congo war crimes suspect aides
The International Criminal Court on Tuesday ordered the interim release of four suspects in former Congolese vice president Jean-Pierre Bemba's case to avoid their pre-trial detention becoming "disproportionate"....
Museveni calls for political mobilization against Ebola
PRESIDENT Yoweri Museveni has expressed sadness at the loss of lives in West Africa due to the Ebola outbreak and said that the people of Uganda stand with their brothers and sisters...
Minister orders musician’s arrest over x-rated video
IRRITATED by the recently released X-rated music video of little known city singer Panadol Extra, Fr. Simon Lokodo, the Minister of Ethics and Integrity, ordered the arrest of the singer...
THE highly contagious Ebola virus, which has killed more than 4,500 people in west Africa since December and has fueled global alarm...
Ugandan rebels spread fear with DR Congo massacres
You sent soldiers to wipe us out, but here we are." That was the chilling message from Ugandan rebels during the latest massacre in the northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo, according to one survivor...
Mbabazi steps aside as NRM secretary general
National Resistance Secretary General, Amama Mbabazi, has taken leave of absence from office....
Do Ugandan tycoons prepare their children to take over their business empires?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter