National
Gov’t to make statement on Kadaga bomb threat
Publish Date: Feb 20, 2014
Gov’t to make statement on Kadaga bomb threat
There were media reports that Speaker Rebecca Kadaga was being targeted.
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Moses Walubiri

KAMPALA - Government will Thursday issue a statement in parliament about the recent allegations about an attempt on the life of Speaker of Parliament, Rebecca Kadaga, using a parcel bomb.

Earlier this month, the media was awash with allegations that a parcel bomb intended for Kadaga seriously injured a parliamentary staff as he attempted to open it.

At the time of the incident, Kadaga was out of the country on official duty. Upon her return, the Kamuli Woman MP confirmed the incident, although she was eager to downplay it, saying the matter was being handled by detectives.

“All leaders in this country are potential targets,” Kadaga said, tacitly trying to refute claims that she was being targeted.

However, Prime Minister, Amama Mbabazi, in response to demands by Medard SSeggona (Busiro East) for government to come clean on the matter told legislators on Tuesday that the executive will be issuing a statement to the house this afternoon.

“Obviously, the life of every Ugandan, more so that of a Speaker of Parliament is precious. Any threats are taken seriously. We shall be coming up with a statement on Thursday,” said Mbabazi.

Although the veracity of the incident has been the subject of animated debate both on the social media and the corridors of parliament, it  has nevertheless brought into sharp focus the efficacy of security detail at parliament, despite having a fully-fledged police station.

A parcel bomb is an explosive device sent via the postal service, and designed with the intention to injure or kill the recipient when opened.

In 1969, for example, the first President of the Mozambique Liberation Front, Eduardo Mondlane, was killed by a parcel bomb concealed in a book posted to him in Dar es Saalam.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Stop-start South Sudan peace talks resume
TALKS aimed at ending South Sudan's civil war resumed in Ethiopia, mediators said, as sporadic fighting continued to rage between rebel and government fighters...
Youth call for electoral reform
UGANDA is known to have the highest figures of people living under the age of 30 at 77% of the population according to UNICEF. However the 2011 elections only managed to attract 49% of the population...
Gov’t urged to re-focus HIV campaign in fishing communities
ACCORDING to reports from both the Uganda AIDS Commission and the health ministry, HIV prevalence in fishing communities ranges from 25% to 50%. It is higher among women compared to the men...
Resettling of Bududa families starts
GOVERNMENT will this week start resettling 1150 families in areas at high risk of landslides and floods from the Mount Elgon region as part of its efforts to find a permanent solution...
Judge blasts parliament over gender insensitive laws
HIGH Court Judge David Batema has blasted parliament for passing what he called insensitive laws when it comes to women issues...
Kenya grieves one year after Westgate mall attack
Thousands of mourners gathered in Kenya''s capital on Sunday for emotional commemorations marking a year since Somali Islamist gunmen attacked Nairobi''s Westgate shopping mall and massacred at least 67 people....
Should bride price be made optional?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter