National
Soldiers pin former boss for theft and abuse of office
Publish Date: Feb 16, 2014
Soldiers pin former boss for theft and abuse of office
Lt. Col. Benson Olanya stands in the dock in a previous hearing last year. FILE PHOTO/Enock Kakande
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Andrew Ssenyonga

KAMPALA - Two Uganda People’s Defense Forces (UPDF) serving officers on Tuesday testified against their former commanding officer in two cases of theft and abuse of office.

The soldiers, who appeared before the General Court Martial in Makindye chaired by Brig. Moses Ssentongo, told the army court that Lt. Col. Benson Olanya committed the crimes.

Olanya, 52, is accused of several offences including two cases of theft and abuse of office.

Prosecution alleges that Olanya committed the offences while still the commanding officer of 343 battalion attached to Battle group XI+ of the Ugandan contingent in AMISOM Somalia in 2013.

Court heard that on June 21 and July 25 last year, while in Jowhar town in Somalia, Olanya diverted 420litres and 300litres (respectively) of fuel meant for his battalion’s operations.

Private Hussein Baluku, 32, who is attached to the same battalion in Somalia, told court Olanya ordered them to give two gallons of 150litres each to a Somali civilian woman without a written order from the Somali Nation Army (SNA).

“We used to get written orders from the SNA forces requesting for help in kind of arms and fuel. But on July 25th 2013, a woman came in a vehicle and Olanya ordered us to give fuel without a formal request note from the army,” Baluku testified.

He added that Olanya being the commanding officer of the battalion, they didn’t defy his order and, obliged to give 300litres of fuel to the woman.

Forty-year-old Corporal David Chengun, who is the arms officers at the same battalion, was the prosecution’s third witness.

He told court that on June 9 last year, while executing his duties, Olanya ordered him to issue arms to a Somali civilian called Osman Mohammed Mohammed.

“The Somali man availed me a list of arms he wanted which included a box of 7.62 x 39 mm armor, a box of 7.62 x 52mm armor, a half tin of 12.62mm armor and six rifles,” he said.

 “After issuing the items Olanya told the man to leave before counter signing for the received items.”

He added that when he asked his boss why the Somali man had left before counter signing for the items taken, Olanya answered that they were late for operations.

Brig. Ssentongo adjourned the case until February 27 for further hearing.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Ugandan killed in attack on UN in Somalia
A Ugandan was among those killed in a suicide bomb attack on a UN vehicle in Garowe, Northern Somalia on Monday....
Govt pledges land to Indian Association to build hospital
Prime Minister Ruhakana Rugunda has promised that government will provide land to the Indian Association of Uganda to build a modern hospital in Kampala...
Nine remanded for littering Kampala City
NINE men have been remanded by City Hall court after being caught littering the city rubbish and disposing waste water in forbidden places....
Being MP a big burden in Uganda - Otafiire
JUSTICE and constitutional affairs minister, Kahinda Otafiire, has expressed dismay over the burdens people impose on their MPs, saying it makes life hard for them....
Standard Gauge Railway committee prepares report
THE Parliamentary committee investigating the botched procurement of a contractor for the $8.5b (sh22 trillion) Standard Gauge Railway line will meet to write its final report...
Accidents blamed on road reserve encroachment
AT least 67 accident cases and 17 deaths were reported last month and most took place along Mbale-Tororo highway where vehicles either swept bodaboda cyclists or crashed into buildings...
Should African countries expel South Africans?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter