World
US sets November trial in Boston bombingsPublish Date: Feb 13, 2014
US sets November trial in Boston bombings
  • mail
  • img
Investigators in white jumpsuits work the crime scene on Boylston Street following bomb attack at the Boston Marathon April 16, 2013 in Boston, Massachusetts. CREDIT/AFP (Source: Getty Images)
newvision

BOSTON - A US judge has set a November trial date for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the chief suspect accused of bombing last year's Boston marathon, killing three people and wounding 260 others.

The trial, which is likely to attract global media interest, will begin on November 3 and could last several months, US District Judge George O'Toole ruled Wednesday.

Tsarnaev's main lawyer, Judy Clarke, had pressed for the trial to take place no sooner than September 2015 in light of the huge amount of documents related to the case.

The April 15 bomb attacks near the finish line of the Boston marathon reignited traumatic memories of the September 11, 2001 attacks. US prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

Tsarnaev, then 19, and his 26-year-old brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev were cornered by police after a four-day manhunt. Tamerlan died after an exchange of fire with police and Dzhokhar was wounded.

The defense team could still ask for a change of location for the trial due to the high emotions triggered by the attacks in Boston. A response to that request is due by June 18.

Tsarnaev, now 20, is a US citizen from a Chechen Muslim family.

The shaggy-haired student has pleaded not guilty to 30 federal charges related to the bombings, including 17 serious charges that can carry sentences of death or life in prison.

These charges include using a weapon of mass destruction resulting in death, as well as conspiracy and bombing of a place of public use resulting in death, and carjacking.

Tsarnaev is also charged in connection with the fatal shooting of a campus police officer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology during the brothers' wild four-day getaway attempt.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
East Africa boosts anti-Ebola measures
KENYA and Ethiopia, home to some of Africa's largest transport hubs, said Thursday they had boosted measures to combat possible Ebola cases arriving in their countries...
Ebola-hit Sierra Leone declares state of emergency
SIERRA Leone declared a state of emergency on Thursday as countries across the world announced stringent new security measures to contain the deadly Ebola epidemic...
Pacific leaders say climate will claim entire nations
Pacific leaders warned Thursday that entire island nations will disappear under the waves unless action is taken to address climate change....
Tutu tells world leaders not to forget S. Sudan
South African Nobel peace laureate Desmond Tutu urges world leaders not to forget the "ghastly suffering"in South Sudan....
Kerry seeks to revive US-India ties after friction
US Secretary of State John Kerry on Thursday holds his first meetings with India's right-wing government as he seeks to reboot a relationship seen as a bulwark against a rising China....
Ebola discoverer says would sit next to victim
The scientist who helped discover the Ebola virus says he would happily sit next to an infected person on a train....
Should private schools and institutions be given tax exemption?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter