African News
‘Ethnic cleansing’ taking place in C.Africa: Amnesty
Publish Date: Feb 12, 2014
‘Ethnic cleansing’ taking place in C.Africa: Amnesty
Picture a mosque reportedly burnt by Christian vigilantes in the PK 5 district of Bangui Photo by AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

LIBREVILLE – “Ethnic cleansing” is being carried out against Muslim civilians in the Central African Republic, with international peacekeepers unable to prevent it, Amnesty International said on Wednesday.

The rights group said it had documented at least 200 killings of Muslim civilians by Christian militia groups known as the anti-balaka, set up in the wake of the March 2013 coup by the mainly Muslim Seleka rebellion.

“‘Ethnic cleansing’ of Muslims has been carried out in the western part of the Central African Republic, the most populous part of the country, since early January 2014,” Amnesty International said in a report.

“Entire Muslim communities have been forced to flee, and hundreds of Muslim civilians who have not managed to escape have been killed by the loosely organised militias known as anti-balaka.”

The group said attacks against Muslims had been committed “with the stated intent to forcibly displace these communities from the country,” with many anti-balaka fighters viewing Muslims as “‘foreigners’ who should leave the country or be killed.”

They appear to be achieving their airms, with Muslims being forced out of the country in increasingly large numbers,” it said.

The impoverished country descended into chaos last March after the mainly Muslim rebellion overthrew the government, sparking deadling violence that has uprooted a million people out of a population of 4.6 million.

Atrocities, the fear of attacks and a lack of food have displaced a quarter of the country’s population, while the United Nations and relief agencies estimate that at least two million people need humanitarian assistance.

The landlocked country has been prone to coups, rebellions and mutinies for decades, but the explosion in interreligious violence is unprecedented.

Amnesty urged international peacekeeping forces in the country to “take rapid steps to break anti-balaka control over the country’s road network, and to station sufficient troops in towns where Muslims are threatened.”

It called for international troops to be granted the necessary resources to achieve this, warning of a “tragedy of historic proportions” that could set a precedent for other countries in the region struggling with sectarian or ethnic conflict.

There are currently 5,300 African Union troops operating under a UN mandate in the former French colony and the force is expected to reach 6,000 by March.

France has deployed 1,600 troops, while the EU has promised to deploy 500 troops at athe beginning of March and the United States is providing logistical support.

France’s defence minister said last week that while the presence of French troops had brought back some stability to the capital Bangui, it had not done so for the rest of the country.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Saudi investor to build Africa
A Saudi investor is to build Africa''s tallest building in Morocco, with construction of the 114-storey tower to begin in June, the project''s manager has said....
13-year-old girl with suicide vest arrested
A 13-year-old girl in an explosives vest was arrested in the northern Nigerian city of Kano....
Two Kenyans charged for violently stripping woman
Two Kenyans accused of stripping a woman have been charged with sexual assault, reports say....
Tutu cancels travel plans to battle cancer
South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu has cancelled all travel plans for the rest of the year in order to battle cancer....
Kenya probes Al Jazeera over
Kenya has ordered Al Jazeera to be placed under investigation over a report aired alleging Kenyan police operate death squads....
From
As the battle to succeed her 90-year-old husband heats up, 49-year-old Grace has been elected to a top post....
Do you agree with the ban on the export of maids?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter