World
South Sudan rebels withdraw threat to boycott peace talks
Publish Date: Feb 12, 2014
South Sudan rebels withdraw threat to boycott peace talks
South Sudanese government soldiers fire a rocket toward a rebel position during an exchange of heavy artillery fire. AFP Photo
  • mail
  • img
newvision

ADDIS ABABA - South Sudanese rebels withdrew on Tuesday a threat to boycott peace talks with the government, saying mediators had promised to address their list of demands.

The rebels said on Monday evening that they wanted four remaining political prisoners held by the government to be released and the Ugandan army, which has been backing President Salva Kiir, to withdraw from South Sudan.

They had threatened otherwise not to attend the resumption of talks that last month secured a ceasefire in a conflict that has killed thousands and displaced more than half a million South Sudanese since it broke out on December 15.

Yohanis Musa Pauk, spokesman for the rebel delegation, told Reuters the rebels had decided to take part in the second round of talks after receiving assurances from the mediators.

"The IGAD mediators have given us guarantees that all the issues that we have raised will be addressed," Pauk said.

Kiir's government has released seven of a group of 11 detainees held on suspicion of trying to stage a coup.

The talks, initially set for Monday, are now due to start on Wednesday in the resort town of Debre Zeit some 40 kilometres south of Addis Ababa, enabling the freed political prisoners to participate.

The first round of talks took place in the Ethiopian capital.
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Burkina Faso military chief says he has taken over
Burkina Faso military chief says he has taken over as head of state...
Blaise Compaore steps down
BURKINA Faso''s embattled President Blaise Compaore has announced that he is stepping down to make way for elections following a violent uprising against his 27-year rule...
Burkina Faso leader defiant after violent day
Burkina Faso's President Blaise Compaore on Thursday refused to give up power but called off a state of emergency imposed after a violent uprising against his 27-year rule that saw parliament set ablaze....
Burkina Faso army announces dissolution of govt, parliament
Burkina Faso’s army has announced the dissolution of government and the country’s National Assembly...
Sweden to recognize State of Palestine today
Swedish government expected to officially recognize State of Palestine today, says Jerusalem official; Israel has been informed of decision...
Man dies after downing 56 shots of liquor
French police open an investigation following the death of a man in his 50s after he downs 56 shots during a drinking competition....
Should the absence of bride price prevent couples from wedding?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter