World
British man jailed for threat to kill Prince Harry
Publish Date: Feb 11, 2014
British man jailed for threat to kill Prince Harry
Prince Harry
  • mail
  • img
newvision

LONDON - A British convicted criminal was jailed for three years on Monday for plotting to kill Prince Harry.

Ashraf Islam, 31, said he had a "moral right to judge" the royal because he fundamentally disagreed with the work of the British military, of which Prince Harry is a member.

The judge at Isleworth Crown Court in London described Islam's plot as "vague and unlikely to succeed", but said he presented a risk to the public.

Islam, a Muslim convert, pleaded guilty in May to making a threat to kill the prince, the younger son of heir to the throne Prince Charles and younger brother of Prince William.

He had earlier handed himself in to police and volunteered the information about the plot, defence counsel Roxanne Morrell said.

Judge Richard McGregor-Johnson said he would not go over details of Islam's plot, but told the court during the brief hearing: "This was not a threat made in isolation.

"The examination of your computer revealed you conducted research on his (Prince Harry's) whereabouts and intentions.

"You had given the matter considerable thought."

He added: "The reason behind that is that you thought he and other serving officers had some moral guilt, and you thought you had a moral right to judge.

"I accept that there is nothing here that could be described as professional plans as to your expressed intentions.

"Your plan was vague and unlikely to succeed."

But the judge said police would have intervened had Islam, who has previous convictions for dishonesty and for involvement in an attempted robbery, attempted to carry out his plan.

Harry has served two tours of duty in Afghanistan but last month he gave up flying army helicopters to take up a desk job in the military.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
North Korea seeks joint probe into Sony hack
North Korea on Saturday called for a joint investigation with the United States into a crippling cyber attack on Sony Pictures, claiming it had means to prove Pyongyang had nothing to do with it....
Two men burnt alive in DRC after attack
Two men are burnt alive by civilians in the DR Congo''s volatile east after they attacked a military office....
Obama to N. Korea over Sony hack:
US President Barack Obama has warned North Korea it would face retaliation for a crippling cyber attack on Sony Pictures over an irreverent film comedy that infuriated Pyongyang....
N. Korea denies involvement in Sony cyber attack
North Korea's UN mission denies involvement in a cyber attack on Sony Pictures after the US FBI said it had evidence that Pyongyang was behind the hacking....
Vatican shuts down scrollmakers
The Vatican cracks down on the business amid reports of fake parchments being peddled to unwitting tourists for pricey sums....
Boko Haram
Boko Haram has kidnapped at least 185 people, including women and children, in northeast Nigeria, the latest mass abduction in a region where the military has repeatedly struggled to protect civilians, officials and witnesses said Thursday....
Do you agree with the ban on the export of maids?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter