• No_Ads
today's Pick
Congo militia leader ordered rapes, massacres - prosecutorPublish Date: Feb 10, 2014
Congo militia leader ordered rapes, massacres - prosecutor
  • mail
  • img
Bosco Ntaganda. PHOTO/AFP
newvision


A Congolese militia leader widely known as "the Terminator" ordered troops, including child soldiers, to massacre and rape civilians to spread terror and grab territory, prosecutors told the International Criminal Court on Monday.


The allegations against Bosco Ntaganda were made at the opening of hearings seen as a test for the global legal institution after a string of troubled cases. Ntaganda has yet to enter a plea.

"He played a key role in planning assaults against the civilian population in order to gain territory," said Chief Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda, setting out her arguments to judges who will decide if there is enough evidence for Ntaganda to stand trial.

Ntaganda was a senior military commander who should also be punished because he "failed to prevent or punish crimes by troops under his effective command or control," she said.

Ntaganda, an ethnic Hema, is accused of crimes against humanity and war crimes including murder and rape, all allegedly committed during a 2002-03 conflict in the mineral-rich east of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The crimes were committed against the Lendu population and other ethnic groups in a bid to drive them out of the Ituri region over 12 months from September 2002, said the prosecutor.

Ntaganda, a tall, slight man with a pencil-line moustache, rose briefly at the start of the hearing, speaking in his native Kinyarwanda tongue to confirm his identity.

Ntaganda handed himself in to the U.S. embassy in the Rwandan capital Kigali last March after a 15-year career as a commander in a series of rebellions in Congo's Ituri province.

Shortly after his arrival in The Hague, prosecutors asked judges for more time to rebuild a case which had been dormant for five years while Ntaganda was on the run.

The session will be a test of prosecutor Bensouda's promise last year that cases will be "trial ready" by the time they come to court - an implicit response to criticisms by academics and member states of earlier cases which collapsed when judges ruled evidence was not strong enough.

The court, 11 years old this year, has handed down just one conviction - jailing another Congolese warlord, Thomas Lubanga, for 14 years in 2012 for using child soldiers. Reuters

 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
UNEB hikes registration fees
The Uganda National Examinations Board (UNEB) has increased its registration fees, according to the institution’s spokesman, Hamis Kaheru....
Uganda journalists to mark world press freedom day
The Uganda Journalists Association (UJA) has begun preparations to commemorate this year’s world press freedom day which will be marked with a series of activities....
Kampala RDCs defend Museveni on Besigye
Deputy Residential District Commissioners (RDCs) for Kampala have defended President Yoweri Museveni’s attack on former Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) president Dr. Kizza Besigye and embattled Kampala Lord Mayor, Erias Lukwago....
Catching more than fish: Ugandan town crippled by AIDS
When you risk your life fishing on dangerous seas, a drink in the bars back on shore seem a welcome relief, but in Uganda, it has created a culture with staggering rates of HIV....
Education minister Jessica Alupo has inaugurated the board to manage the students’ tuition loan scheme with a stern warning to members against corruption....
Man Utd sack manager David Moyes
MANCHESTER United sacked manager David Moyes just 10 months after he succeeded Alex Ferguson at the helm of one of the world's most famous clubs...
WIll the national ID registration process be completed in the scheduled 4 months timeframe?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter