Sport
Lubega's WBC heavyweight fight delayedPublish Date: Feb 09, 2014
Lubega's WBC heavyweight fight delayed
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Samson Opus 

JOSEPH ‘Joey Vegas’ Lubega will have to wait a little longer for another shot at the World Boxing Council (WBC) International light heavyweight after the fight was pushed to March 31.

Lubega, 32 was due to take on South Africa’s Ryno Liebenderg in the 12-rounder on February 15 in Johannesburg, South Africa

According to the fight organizers, the show was put off because of the recent death on WBC president Jose Sulaiman. 

The Ugandan prize fighter said the change plays in his favour. “There is no problem with that. 

I’m comfortable with the change because I would be in much better shape,” Lubega who will be eyeing to return the title remarked yesterday.

Lubega first won the title when he knocked out Kirt Sinnette of Trinidad and Tobago in 2012. The title, however, fell vacant last year after the former national boxer failed to hold a mandatory title defence. 

“This is a great opportunity which I have been waiting for. I am still working hard to ensure that I bring back this belt home,” Lubega who has been loading punching power for the past month added yesterday. 

Lubega, a USPA boxer of the year 2013, hopes to improve on his record of 16 wins (nine by Knockout) 6 loss and one draw 16(KO9)-6-1. 

The South Africa boasts of a clean record of 14 wins, 10 of them by knockout. 

But Lubega also looks forward to his 10th knockout. “I feel good now,” he added. 

I am ready to repeat what I did in Trinidard and Tobago,” the boxer said in reminiscent of his fourth round knockout against Sinnette in Port-of-Spain. 

Lubega who has been training under coach Vincent Kato at the KBC gym at Nakivubo departed on February 6.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Mo Farah out of Commonwealth Games
GLASGOW Commonwealth Games were handed a heavy body blow early on Thursday's opening day with the news that athletics legend Mo Farah had pulled out due to injury...
Chesang sets new junior record
Uganda’s Stella Chesang finished fourth at the IAAF World Junior championships with a new national junior record at the IAAF World Junior championships taking place in Eugene....
Commonwealth Games open in colourful, moving ceremony
Queen Elizabeth II has opened the 20th Commonwealth Games after a moving and colourful ceremony at Celtic Park....
Cranes resume training for return leg against Mauritania
The Cranes team has resumed training at Namboole in preparation of the return leg against Mauritania on August 3....
Kickboxing:  Apolot to defend against Nassimbwa
Motor mouth kickboxer Moses Golola elevated the game of kickboxing four years ago....
Uganda begins quest for Commonwealth glory
UGANDA’S quest for medals at the 20th Commonwealth Games starts off with a badminton encounter against Kenya. The two nations clash in one of the opening fixtures of the mixed group encounters...
Should government review powers of kings?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter