National
Bodies of Westgate gunmen 'are with FBI'
Publish Date: Feb 07, 2014
Bodies of Westgate gunmen 'are with FBI'
A Kenyan soldier inside the Westgate shopping mall. PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

NAIROBI - Kenya's army revealed Friday that the bodies of the gunmen who attacked Nairobi's Westgate shopping mall last year are in the hands of the FBI.

Military chief Julius Karangi was describing his troops' response to the attack at a forum organised by the media council to review coverage of the incident.

He said his troops finally killed the attackers on the Monday morning, two days after they marched into the Westgate mall on September 21 and sprayed shoppers and staff with machine gun fire.

He said the all-clear was finally given late on Tuesday, September 24, after at least 67 people had been killed.

"After the incident happened on Saturday, we finished them on Monday morning," Karangi told the audience at a Nairobi hotel.

"Their bodies are with the FBI somewhere," he said.

Karangi did not give any further details on the bodies.


Kenyan security forces had predicted an attack on targets including the Westgate shopping mall. PHOTO/AFP

All four attackers were ethnic Somalis -- and believed to come from Somalia -- with two of the attackers named as Mohammed Abdinur Said and Hassan Abdi Dhuhulow, a 23-year old Somali who spent several years in Norway.

Kenyan security forces initially said they were fighting around 12 attackers, although the number of gunmen later turned out to be just four.

Somalia's Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it was a warning to Kenya to pull its troops out of southern Somalia, where they are fighting the extremists as part of an African Union force.

The group said the attackers were from a special suicide squad.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Judges should retire with 100% benefits - Museveni
President Yoweri Museveni has said there is no serious dialogue between the three arms of government; the executive, the legislature and the judiciary, to talk about strategy and ideology of the country....
Court sets date to rule on Kamoga’s bail
The Constitutional Court has set a date on which it will deliver its ruling on whether it will temporarily release Tabliq leader Amir Ummah Muhammad Yunus Kamoga and eight others...
Former New Vision journalist dies in US
Joyce Nyakato, a former features writer at New Vision dies at the Georgetown University Hospital in Washington DC....
UPDF loses 10 soldiers in Somalia attack
The army has released names of the 10 soldiers who were killed in Somalia attack on Tuesday....
DStv Eutelsat Star awards competition opens
Students between the ages of 14 and 19 years have yet another opportunity to participate in the International DStv Eutelsat satellite technology competition....
Mbale road works to be complete by November
Construction works of four Mbale municipality roads will be completed by November this year, Plinth Technical Works project manager Eng. Richardson Babiha has said...
Are poor parliamentary debates a result of removal of school debates?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter