• No_Ads
World
Eight trapped S.Africa gold miners are deadPublish Date: Feb 06, 2014
Eight trapped S.Africa gold miners are dead
  • mail
  • img
Employees arrive at the gold mine in Doornkop west of Johannesburg on February 5, 2014, where eight of nine miners trapped underground due to a seismic event have been found dead (AFP Photo/Marco Longari)
newvision

Eight of the nine gold mineworkers trapped underground in a shaft west of Johannesburg have been found dead, the National Union of Mineworkers said Thursday.

"Eight of the nine mineworkers who were missing at Doornkop Mine are found dead," the union said in a statement. A search was ongoing for the ninth man still missing.

The union said the bodies were discovered on Wednesday night by rescue teams.

Initially 17 workers were trapped underground after a fire broke out about 1.7 kilometers (over a mile) beneath the surface at mining firm Harmony Gold's Doornkop operations late Tuesday, in an accident that may have been triggered by a seismic event.

Eight of the workers were rescued on Wednesday morning after escaping to a refuge chamber.

The union said the damage to electric cables had triggered a fire underground after a rock fall.

Despite efforts to reduce fatalities, accidents are still common in South Africa's ultra-deep gold mines.

One hundred and twenty eight people were killed in 2010, according to the latest figures published by local NGO Miningsafety.co.za.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Gunmen kill 20 at UN base in S.Sudan
UNITED NATIONS - Gunmen killed at least 20 people and wounded 70 others when they stormed a UN base in South Sudan Thursday, the US envoy to the world body said....
Several wounded as gunmen attack civilians in S.Sudan UN base
Several people were wounded in South Sudan Thursday after gunmen attacked civilians sheltering inside a UN peacekeeping base in the war-ravaged town of Bor, the UN said....
Senegal ex-president
The flamboyant "super minister" son of former Senegalese leader Abdoulaye Wade is to be tried in June for corruption after accumulating a fortune valued at well over $1 billion, a judicial source said on Thursday....
Child soldiers battle in worsening South Sudan war
Like many 13 year-olds, Gach Chuol is timid, shyly looking down at the ground as he speaks to a stranger. But he is also joining South Sudan’s war to avenge the death of his parents, and brandishes an AK-47 assault rifle as he recalls why he traded his school books for arms....
Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
The frantic search for nearly 300 people, most of them schoolchildren, missing after a South Korean ferry capsized slipped into a second day Thursday, as distraught relatives maintained an agonised vigil on shore....
Kidnapped Nigeria girls taken to Islamist stronghold
THE Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram were taken to a stronghold of the Islamist group, parents said as the military confirmed that 129 students had been abducted...
Is the return of Buganda Properties a sign of good Governance?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter