National
Incomplete investigations delay Kiruhura case
Publish Date: Feb 06, 2014
newvision
  • mail
  • img

By Michael Odeng

Fourteen family members linked to the brutal murder of six family members in Kiruhura district have protested delayed police investigations.


The suspects, through their lawyer, told court presided by Buganda Road Chief Magistrate, Olive Kazaarwe Mukwaya that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP)  had delayed the investigation in order to keep them  in custody.

This prompted the magistrate to adjourn the matter for the last time before the hearing of the case starts. The state said investigations into the matter were in-complete.

The suspects appeared before the magistrate Monday to answer charges of aggravated robbery and six counts of murder.

Kazaarwe however sent them back to Luzira prison after state prosecutor Peace Biira told court that the area in which the offense was committed was still under police investigation.

 “This case is still for mention and the place where the offence was committed is still under police investigation. I therefore pray for an adjournment,” Biira said.

The case is following the death of Daniel Karuhanga and five of his family members who were killed at his home in Kacumbiro village on August 17.

The suspects allegedly made off with Karuhanga’s car and sh12-million.

So far, court has heard that the suspects were tracked down by a sniffer dog which led the police to one of the suspects’ home.

The suspect, Jovia Karuhanga, later linked the police to others.

According to witnesses, the late Karuhanga had been embroiled in domestic wrangles over property sharing for years with his estranged wife since they broke up in 2011.

Prosecutors say the suspects used spears, knives and machetes in the murders.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Ugandan killed in South Africa xenophobic violence
The wave of xenophobic attacks that rocked South Africa last month claimed a 49- year old Ugandan businessman....
Uganda hosts safe maternal and child conference
Uganda will be hosting a three-day Leadership Council Meeting of delegates from countries that are implementing a USAID-funded project, called Saving Mothers, Giving Life ((SMGL) that started today Tuesday...
Police busts motorbike theft racket
The Police in Kampala are holding nine men suspected to be part of a racket that steals motorbikes and alters their registration number plates before selling them to unsuspecting buyers...
Brig. Ondoga acquitted of eight charges
The General Court Martial has dismissed all charges against Brig. Michael Ondoga, the former commander of the Ugandan peacekeeping contingent in Somalia...
Mubiru to file defence in sodomy case
Buganda Road chief magistrate’s court has ordered the former Uganda cranes manager Chris Mubiru Kisingiri to defend himself against the charges of sodomy or be convicted of the offence...
720 Kenyans return home
A total of 720 persons who are part of the 1,500 Kenyans who fled their country at the height of the 2007-08 post-election violence have returned home...
Should government scrap PLE?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter