World
New inquiry raises pressure on Sri Lanka over war crimesPublish Date: Feb 05, 2014
New inquiry raises pressure on Sri Lanka over war crimes
  • mail
  • img
Sri Lankan soldiers patrol near the site of a downed Tamil Tiger light aircraft in Katunayaka, near Colombo, on February 21, 2009 (AFP Photo/Ishara S. Kodikara)
newvision

Sri Lanka's army led an orgy of indiscriminate killing at the climax of the island's civil war, and has since tried to destroy evidence of its crimes, a new investigation published Wednesday by foreign experts claimed.

A report released by the Public Interest Advocacy Centre (PIAC) in Australia claimed that soldiers committed the "vast majority" of crimes in a final government offensive against Tamil Tiger separatists in May 2009.

The probe comes ahead of a session at the UN Human Rights Council next month at which the US is due to move a third resolution pressing Sri Lanka to investigate the conduct of its troops or face further international censure.

Sri Lanka has resisted repeated calls for an international inquiry into allegations that up to 40,000 civilians were killed by government forces during the bloody finale to a conflict that dragged on for 37 years.

The PIAC's International Crimes Evidence Project (ICEP) report entitled "Island of Impunity?" included material from independent international experts, UN staff members and new witness testimony.

"Certain alleged crimes committed during the final months of the war involved such flagrant and reckless disregard for the laws of war, which strongly suggests there was intent to commit those crimes," the report said.

Evidence 'covertly destroyed'

Early analysis suggested that the Sri Lankan government was exhuming and destroying evidence of mass civilian deaths, the report said.

The ICEP said it had obtained testimony from unidentified new witnesses that members of the Sri Lankan security forces had destroyed forensic evidence after the conflict.

"The allegations are that human remains from mass burial sites in the conflict zone were exhumed and were covertly destroyed," the report said. "This highlights the urgent need for an internationally-mandated investigation."

Sri Lanka's military rejected the report as "old allegations" and denied there had been any digging up of graves to destroy evidence.

"There is nothing new in the report. It is the same old allegations already in the public domain," Sri Lanka military spokesman Brigadier Ruwan Wanigasooriya told AFP.

"There has only been one mass grave found (in the former war zone) and a judicial inquiry is underway," he said.

He discounted charges of mass killings, torture and sexual violence, but said 17 soldiers had been prosecuted on charges of rape in the final stages of the fighting.

"We want to maintain a disciplined army and we take action when we are presented with evidence," he said, adding that the latest report was an attempt to discredit Sri Lanka ahead of the UNHRC session in Geneva next month.

The report argued that an international investigation would be the "most effective mechanism for compiling a comprehensive list of persons for whom prosecutions is, or may be, warranted."

The ICEP analysed the command structure of the security forces and the Tamil Tigers. The group said it had evidence against specific individuals but it did not name them.

It repeated previous charges that government forces executed surrendering senior Tamil Tiger political wing leaders as well as the youngest son of Tiger leader Velupillai Prabhakaran who was killed on May 18, 2009.

Sri Lanka lauds its record at defeating the Tamil Tigers, who mastered the use of suicide bombers and at their height controlled nearly a third of the country's territory between 1990 and 1995.

President Mahinda Rajapakse was re-elected in 2010, largely on the back of his war record and support from the majority Sinhalese ethnic community.

The Tamil Tigers were fighting for a homeland for minority ethnic Tamils, who campaigners say face discrimination on the Buddhist-majority Indian Ocean island.

The report said it also had evidence that security forces were using rape and sexual violence on civilians after the war ended, a charge made by other rights groups and denied by Colombo.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
West Africa Ebola death toll
The death toll in West Africa's Ebola outbreak has risen to 660, with the number of cases surpassing 1,000, says WHO....
First images emerge of Air Algerie crash site
The first images of the Air Algerie crash site in Mali emerged Friday, showing a stark terrain littered with bits of a plane that appears to have been pulverised on impact....
Tourist shot dead in Kenya was German
KENYAN police said Friday a female tourist shot dead in the coastal city of Mombasa was from Germany, the second such killing of a foreign visitor by gunmen there this month...
Al Shabaab commanders killed in AU offensive
AFRICAN Union troops in Somalia said they had killed two "senior" commanders of the Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab insurgents, in the latest push...
No survivors on Algeria flight, black box found
No one survived the crash of an Air Algerie flight over Mali, says French President Francois Hollande....
Man sues for penis amputation instead of circumcision
An Alabama man who went in to a hospital last month for a circumcision awoke after surgery to find his penis had been amputated, his lawyer said on Thursday...
Should government review powers of kings?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter