National
Uganda overwhelmed as refugees hit 317,000
Publish Date: Jan 30, 2014
Uganda overwhelmed as refugees hit 317,000
State Minister in the Office of prime minister for Disaster and Preparedness Musa Ecweru briefing the press at Media Centre on the influx and settlement of new Refugees from South Sudan and the DRC. Photo by Peter Busomoke
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Moses Mulondo

UGANDA government is overwhelmed by the influx of refugees as the number of refugees in the country has reached 317000.

This was revealed yesterday at the Media Centre in Kampala by the disaster preparedness minister Musa Ecweru who indicated that most of the refugees are coming from DRC Congo and South Sudan.

Ecweru said other refugees are from Somalia, Kenya, Tanzania, Burundi and Rwanda.

Since the outbreak of the South Sudan war in mid December last year, 50332 refugees have settled in Adjumani, 8755 are in Arua and 7162 are in Kiryandongo refugee settlement.

Regarding refugees from DR Congo, the minister said that even after cease fire agreement between M23 rebels and the DR government; refugees have continued to come to Uganda.

In July 2013, 5000 persons were expelled out of Tanzania and entered Uganda through Kikagati and Mutukula boarder posts. The Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) together with the United Nations relocated 4260 of the 5000 at Sango Bay camp.

The OPM is planning to issue identity cards to all the Sango Bay camp inhabitants for improve security and better camp management.

Ecweru said government needs sh22b to facilitate permanent settlement of 4024 of the expellees and repatriation of 500 non-Ugandans.

The minister said from the verifications they done so far about these expellees, majority of them (4024) are Ugandans who migrated to Tanzania in the early 1960s. Of the remaining number, 52 are Rwandese, 40 are Burundians, and 5 are Tanzanians.

Concerning the refugees from South Sudan, Ecweru said government has just discovered that a big number of refugees from South Sudan fled with a lot of money and are using it to rent houses in various towns in Northern Uganda.

“We have already directed local authorities to identify the refugees who are not in the camps to be registered,” Ecweru said.

The minister said given the high influx of the refugees, government is seeking sh210b to be able to look after all the refugees in the next six months.

In looking after these refugees, Ecweru said, government is grappling with many challenges which include poor sanitation and hygiene, inadequate water supply, old fleet of OPM vehicles used, negative attitude by host communities towards new arrivals, harassment of service providers by refugees, and poor road network in settlements among others.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Pakistani sexual abuse case judgment flops
The judgment of a case in which two Pakistanis’ are charged with having canal knowledge against order of nature and domestic violence has been adjourned to December 22, 2014 by the Chief magistrate Buganda Road court, Lillian Bucyana....
Daniel Kidega is new EALA Speaker
Ugandan legislator Daniel Kidega has been named the new Speaker of the East African Legislative Assembly, replacing Margaret Zziwa....
Archbishop raps KCCA over transfer of taxi park to Usafi
Archbishop Lwanga expresses concern over the difficult access of Nsambya Hospital following the transfer of taxis from the Old Taxi Park to Usafi Park....
Kisenyi Al shabaab terror linked case for January 5
The case of the 10 al-shabaab-linked terror suspects arrested in September in the city suburb of Kisenyi, has been pushed to January 5....
Man gets life sentence for raping, impregnating own daughter
A 54-year old man is to spend the rest of his life in prison for raping and impregnating his 14-year-old daughter....
Court rejects witnesses of ex-army commander
The General Court Martial in Makindye has rejected nine witnesses of the former commander of UPDF Battle Group 11+ in Somalia Col. Hassan Kimbowa....
Do you agree with the ban on the export of maids?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter