National
Kiir sets Machar men free
Publish Date: Jan 29, 2014
Kiir sets Machar men free
Kenya president Uhuru Kenyatta hugs the detainees upon their release
  • mail
  • img
newvision

JUBA - South Sudan released seven of the 11 key leaders held after an alleged coup bid last month, Kenya’s presidency said yesterday as Nairobi accepted to host the group.

The seven men appeared in apparent good health at a press conference hosted by Kenyan president, Uhuru Kenyatta, in the capital Nairobi.

John Luk Jok, a former justice minister, spoke on behalf of those released. “We don’t feel bitter, we only feel sad that the crisis in our country is happening just after our independence,” he said. “We don’t see our president as our enemy,” he added.

The release of all the prisoners has been a key demand of the rebels. However, four leaders remain in custody in South Sudan, facing trial for attempting to topple President Salva Kiir after fighting broke out in the capital Juba on December 15.

Kiir accused his sacked deputy Riek Machar and other former officials of fomenting a coup against his government

The arrest

Eleven ex-officials were arrested, while Machar – who denied any coup plot – fled, leading a loose coalition of rebel fighters. Fighting quickly spread across the country.

Both sides implemented a ceasefire last Friday, but combat has only eased, not ended, with reports of continuing clashes and a worsening humanitarian crisis that has left thousands dead and forced almost 800,000 to flee their homes.

Treason charges for Machar

Their release comes a day after South Sudanese justice minister Paulino Wanawila said the four men (still) in detention will face trial, while three others, including Machar, will face justice if caught.

Kenya’s foreign ministry said it was “still negotiating for the release of the remaining four.” The four remaining in detention
are: Pagan Amum, former secretary general of the ruling party, ex-national security minister Oyai Deng Ajak, former ambassador to the US Ezekiel Lol Gatkuoth, and ex-deputy defence minister Majak D’Agoot.

Humanitarian agencies say up to 10,000 people have been killed in the conflict, although many fear more may have died.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
UCU introduces new program on child development
The Bishop Tucker School of Divinity and Theology at Uganda Christian University (UCU) has introduced a new program focusing on children development....
University cautioned over Mbabazi invite
Ambiance Discotheque in Masaka municipality has stopped Mutesa 1 Royal University from inviting the former prime minister as chief guest at their Saturday beauty contest....
Ex-PM Mbabazi entitled to sh2.1m pension
Former Prime Minister Amama Mbabazi once said he was not finished and indeed he is not, especially in the wallet....
Mother declines cash to marry off P.6 daughter
A 37-year-old woman from eastern Uganda is the talk of the town after she rejected sh602,000 from a suitor who wanted to marry her daughter....
14 killed in DR Congo machete attack
THE incursion by the Ugandan rebel group ADF took place overnight in the town of Kampi ya Chui....
Businessman sues UNRA over Entebbe Expressway
A businessman has dragged UNRA to court seeking sh5b in damages for loss of business and the inconvenience over the construction of the Entebbe Expressway....
Should the absence of bride price prevent couples from wedding?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter