World
South African police kill two more protestors
Publish Date: Jan 29, 2014
South African police kill two more protestors
South African police are seen on patrol through a curtain during a national football team in Johannesburg on June 8, 2010 (AFP/File, Alexander Joe)
  • mail
  • img
newvision

South African police said Wednesday they had shot dead two protestors in a northern village during a seige a day earlier of their station by an angry mob throwing stones and petrol bombs.

"Our members felt that they were in danger and a command to defend themselves was given," police spokesman Hangwani Mulaudzi said.

"Police fired at the crowd... it was later realised that two people were fatally wounded," said Mulaudzi, adding that live ammunition was used.

Fifteen police officers were injured during the clashes on Tuesday, he said.

The deaths bring the total number of protestors killed allegedly by police this year to eight.

The violence near Tzaneen was sparked by community anger over a recent killing in the area.

When residents tried to take matters into their own hands and seek out the suspects, police responded, allegedly shooting dead a 15-year old boy in the process.

Residents then turned their anger against the police.

"The situation in the village is still tense, the community is angry and some people have tried to prevent police from entering the area," said Mulaudzi.

Mulaudzi said additional police officers were dispatched after receiving a tip-off about plans to burn down the police station.

The police watchdog said it was investigating the shooting deaths.

Earlier this month, four people were shot dead, allegedly by police, during a demonstration over the lack of water supply in a town outside the capital Pretoria.

Another man was shot in a protest days later, outside Johannesburg and four officers have been charged over his death.

South African police are often criticised for heavy handedness during protests, where live ammunition and rubber bullets are often used to quell unrests.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
WHO says Ebola epidemic on the decline
WEEKLY Ebola infections in west Africa have dropped to below 100 for the first time in more than six months, figures showed...
Malaysia declares MH370 an accident
MALAYSIA has formally declared the passengers and crew of missing flight MH370 to be presumed dead, a step that it said opens the door for compensation payments...
IMF begins work on
The International Monetary Fund said Wednesday it would begin working on alternatives to its stalled, five-year-old reform program after passing another year without the required ratification by the US government....
Hezbollah will pay
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned Lebanon's Hezbollah it will pay the "full price" after missiles killed two Israeli soldiers Wednesday in an attack that raised fears of another all-out war....
The world's leading comics festival was set to open in France on Thursday under a tight net of security as it dedicated this year's event to the murdered cartoonists of Charlie Hebdo....
Obama to request hike in US military budget: officials
President Barack Obama plans to ask for an increase in military spending in a proposed budget for 2016, with a request for $585 billion that would exceed funding caps mandated by Congress, officials said...
Do you agree with the new tax on private schools?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter