World
UN says M23 recruiting in Rwanda
Publish Date: Jan 24, 2014
UN says M23 recruiting in Rwanda
M23 rebel leader Bisimwa (left) and the Military chief (right) Makenga addressing press conference in Bunagana, in March.
  • mail
  • img
newvision


The UN Security Council brushed aside Rwandan protests to release a report Thursday saying Democratic Republic of Congo rebels are recruiting fighters inside Rwanda.

Rwanda slammed the report as "flawed" and said it had been made an unfair target of UN investigations.

The report by experts monitoring the UN sanctions regime against DR Congo gave new evidence that M23 rebels had breached a peace accord made with the DR Congo government last year.

The report said there was "credible information" that M23 leaders who face UN sanctions are "moving freely in Uganda and that M23 continued to recruit in Rwanda."

Last week, the head of the UN mission in DR Congo, Martin Kobler, said there were "credible reports" that M23 was rebuilding at Ituri in northeastern DR Congo.

M23 launched a rebellion against the DR Congo government in the east of the country in 2012 and briefly took the key city of Goma.

But the rebels were beaten by government forces, backed by beefed up UN troops, in November and signed a peace accord with the government a month later.

Kobler called on Rwanda and Uganda "to do everything possible to prevent M23 elements from sheltering or training troops on their territory" so that they could start a new campaign.

UN experts have repeatedly accused Rwanda and Uganda of backing M23 or allowing the rebels to use their territory. Both deny the accusations.

While the accusations in the new report are fairly mild, Rwanda, which is a temporary member of the 15-nation Security Council, reacted with fury to the document, saying it should be rejected.

Olivier Nduhungirehe, Rwanda's deputy UN ambassador, said after council consultations that the report was based on "flawed methodology" with "a lack of sources."

"Rwanda is now commemorating the 20th anniversary of the genocide against the Tutsis," he said in reacting to the repeated allegations against his country.

"We clearly stated that we are not in the mood for continuing this punching bag exercise against Rwanda."

The experts report also said huge amounts of gold, precious stones and minerals were being smuggled out of eastern DR Congo by rebels and government army officers. AFP



 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Malaysia declares MH370 an accident
MALAYSIA has formally declared the passengers and crew of missing flight MH370 to be presumed dead, a step that it said opens the door for compensation payments...
IMF begins work on
The International Monetary Fund said Wednesday it would begin working on alternatives to its stalled, five-year-old reform program after passing another year without the required ratification by the US government....
Hezbollah will pay
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned Lebanon's Hezbollah it will pay the "full price" after missiles killed two Israeli soldiers Wednesday in an attack that raised fears of another all-out war....
The world's leading comics festival was set to open in France on Thursday under a tight net of security as it dedicated this year's event to the murdered cartoonists of Charlie Hebdo....
Obama to request hike in US military budget: officials
President Barack Obama plans to ask for an increase in military spending in a proposed budget for 2016, with a request for $585 billion that would exceed funding caps mandated by Congress, officials said...
Nigeria military warned before major Boko Haram attacks: Amnesty
Amnesty International on Wednesday claimed that Nigeria's military top brass were warned of brutal Boko Haram attacks on the northeast towns of Baga and Monguno this month ut failed to take action....
Do you agree with the new tax on private schools?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter