By David Lumu
The embattled UNEB board chairman, Fagil Mandy, has said he cannot rule out sabotage from a small group of people at the national exams body, who he says, will not rest until he goes down the drain.
“I cannot say whether there is sabotage at UNEB or not. But, why did the scanner breakdown? Why was there no back-up? Why did the whistleblower’s letter to the IGG leak?
"Why are the allegations raised against me personally?" he questioned.
"Clearly, there must be someone who badly wants to tarnish my name. There is a small group of people who don’t want change,” Mandy told journalists at the Media Centre on Thursday.
On January 15, the IGG wrote to the Ministry of Education, detailing complaints from a whistleblower about the way Mandy conducted the recruitment process for the person to replace Matthew Bukenya as UNEB executive secretary.
When asked whether he would leave office to allow for the investigations, Mandy warned that although he had no problem stepping aside if asked, the country would lose heavily when he vacates.
“If I am requested to step down, I will leave. UNEB will continue with or without Fagil Mandy. There is nothing personal, but the country will lose,” he said.
A renowned educationist, Mandy mid-2012 replaced Prof Lutalo Bbosa, who had been at the helm of the examinations body for nine years.
Fagil Mandy confirmed as new UNEB boss
'Most teachers are short of skills'
Arrest those selling alcohol to minors – Mandy