National
UNEB denies ‘computer crash’
Publish Date: Jan 22, 2014
UNEB denies ‘computer crash’
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Taddeo Bwambale

The Uganda National Examinations Board (UNEB) has dismissed reports that electronic equipment used for processing students’ examination results had malfunctioned.


UNEB’s Executive Secretary, in a press statement Wednesday said the institution had not suffered the setback which was feared to cause a delay in releasing results of last year’s exams.

“The top official quoted in the story as saying that ‘scanners used in compilation and computation of final examination results had crashed” gave wrong information and was not speaking on behalf of UNEB,” Bukenya stated.

“The scanners used at UNEB are never used for compilation and computation of results. They are used only for capturing results from optical mark reader sheets. At the time of doing this the scanners never crashed and are working well,” he said.

Bukenya maintained that the scanning of mark sheets was ‘progressing normally.’

“Technically, the optical mark reader used by UNEB cannot crash. The information attributed to the official was a figment of his or her imagination,” he explained.

UNEB’s chairperson, Fagil Mandy was quoted on Tuesday stating that the institution’s scanner had ‘crashed’ raising concern that this would delay the release of results for last year’s exams.

Bukenya confirmed that a technician from South Africa had arrived in the country to service the scanners, but said this was part of a ‘routine maintenance visit.’

“UNEB has a running maintenance contract with a South African firm and over the last 10 years technicians from that firm have always visited UNEB twice a year to service the scanners and ensure that they continue to run efficiently,” Bukenya stated.         

He said marking of examinations and processing results at the Secretariat was ongoing, in spite of a delay to release funds for the exercise on time.

“As soon as the funds were received, marking of UACE examinations started immediately and some of the UACE examiners have completed and are beginning to leave marking centres,” he said.

He said reports that about the alleged breakdown of computers at UNEB had created the impression that there was a deliberate attempt of sabotage by the Secretariat.

“Such insinuations by anybody are outrageous and should be treated with the contempt they deserve,” he remarked.    

Bukenya assured the public that efforts were being made to ensure results are released as per schedule. Results for Primary Seven exams are expected to be released on January 30.
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
University cautioned over Mbabazi invite
Ambiance Discotheque in Masaka municipality has stopped Mutesa 1 Royal University from inviting the former prime minister as chief guest at their Saturday beauty contest....
Ex-PM Mbabazi entitled to sh2.1m pension
Former Prime Minister Amama Mbabazi once said he was not finished and indeed he is not, especially in the wallet....
Mother declines cash to marry off P.6 daughter
A 37-year-old woman from eastern Uganda is the talk of the town after she rejected sh602,000 from a suitor who wanted to marry her daughter....
14 killed in DR Congo machete attack
THE incursion by the Ugandan rebel group ADF took place overnight in the town of Kampi ya Chui....
Businessman sues UNRA over Entebbe Expressway
A businessman has dragged UNRA to court seeking sh5b in damages for loss of business and the inconvenience over the construction of the Entebbe Expressway....
US Commander of Africa Forces visits
President Yoweri Museveni has said that the main challenge in Somalia today was clan-related issues. The President made the remarks at State House Entebbe in a meeting with the United States of America Commander of Africa Forces, General David Rodriguez....
Should the absence of bride price prevent couples from wedding?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter