World
S. Korea vows harsh penalties for data leaks
Publish Date: Jan 22, 2014
S. Korea vows harsh penalties for data leaks
A South Korean customer receives an application form to cancel her credit card at a branch of Lotte Card in Seoul on January 22, 2014 (AFP, Jung Yeon-Je)
  • mail
  • img
newvision

South Korean regulators Wednesday vowed tougher penalties for financial firms and executives who fail to protect customer data, following the unprecedented theft of information from at least 20 million people.

"If an accident like this happens again, the company in question will be shut and its executives will no longer be able to work in this industry," Shin Je-Yoon, the head of the Financial Supervisory Commission (FSC), told reporters.

The warning came after the country's largest-ever leak of private financial data that involved three credit card companies.

The FSC will soon devise harsher punishments and heavier financial penalties on companies and their executives for future security breaches, Shin said.

"For instance, we are thinking of about 5 billion won ($4.6 million) in fines, or even up to 1.0 percent of their total sales," Shin said.

The three companies involved in the latest data leak -- KB Kookmin Card, Lotte Card and NH Nonghyup Card -- will face "the highest level of punishment legally possible", he said, suggesting a possible three-month business suspension.

The data was stolen by an employee from personal credit ratings firm Korea Credit Bureau who once worked as a temporary consultant at the three firms. He was arrested earlier this month.

The stolen data of 20 million people -- out of a total population of 50 million -- included names, social security numbers, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, home addresses, credit card numbers and even personal credit ratings.

Since Monday more than two million victims have cancelled their credit cards permanently or requested new ones, with angry customers flooding bank branches and call centres for days.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Morsi, secular camp in dock for
Ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi went on trial Saturday alongside several secular figures behind Egypt''s 2011 uprising, underlining a crackdown on all forms of dissent....
Eiffel Tower reopens after staff walk out over pickpockets
Paris's iconic Eiffel Tower was shut to tourists for several hours on Friday as staff walked off the job to protest a surge in gangs of pickpockets....
Bank of England admits to researching
The Bank of England revealed Friday that it is researching the economic risks of Britain leaving the European Union....
Migrant drownings: Africa
African leaders have been silent over an issue they fear underlines their weak governance, say campaigners....
Emails offer rare glimpse into Clinton
All the emails released on Friday deal with Libya and the September 11, 2012 Benghazi attack....
Burundi protesters defy police crackdown
Thousands of anti-government protesters in Burundi marched on the streets of the capital Bujumbura Friday, defying one of the heaviest pushes by police to end weeks of demonstrations....
Should politicians be banned from addressing religious gatherings?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter