World
S. Sudan army 'use force at UN base'
Publish Date: Jan 20, 2014
S. Sudan army 'use force at UN base'
South Sudanese government soldiers are pictured in a vechicle near their barracks on January 19, 2014 in Bor, a strategic town they recaptured the day before from rebel forces. PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

UNITED NATIONS - South Sudan government troops tried to force their way into a United Nations compound sheltering thousands of civilians after taking a key town from opposition rebels, a UN spokesman said.

Senior government figures and troops threatened UN staff when they tried to enter the compound at Bor, Martin Nesirky said in a statement condemning the tactics.

Secretary General Ban Ki-moon "is alarmed at the attempt today by senior members of the government of South Sudan and South Sudan army to force entry into the protection of civilians site," Nesirky said.

Bor has been repeatedly lost and retaken by government forces in the worsening conflict between President Salva Kiir and his former vice president Riek Machar. The government said it retook Bor again Saturday.

The UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) says it faces growing threats from both sides as they shelter tens of thousands of civilians in compounds across the country.

Aid groups say up to 10,000 people have been killed in the conflict, which erupted on December 15.

Highlighting the "devastating" impact of the hostilities on the world's newest nation, Ban said he was "particularly disturbed that United Nations staff were threatened by South Sudan military when they refused to allow armed soldiers to accompany civilians to visit the UNMISS protection site today."

"The secretary general condemns the threats made against UN personnel and demands that all parties to the conflict respect the sanctity of UNMISS protection sites," said Nesirky.

He added that it was "just one of a growing number of violations" of the UN accord with the South Sudan government "making it increasingly difficult for UNMISS to implement its mandate and dangerous for United Nations staff working in South Sudan."

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Drugmakers to join forces to make millions of Ebola vaccine doses
Leading drugmakers plan to work together to speed up the development of an Ebola vaccine and hope to produce millions of doses for use next year....
Rwanda imposes Ebola checks on US travellers
RWANDA has boosted travel restrictions to stem the spread of the Ebola virus, ordering travellers who have been in the United States and Spain to send daily updates...
Bashir to run for re-election
SUDANESE President Omar al-Bashir - in power since a 1989 coup - will stand for re-election in 2015 after being retained Tuesday as leader of the ruling National Congress Party...
Paralysed man walks again after breakthrough treatment
A paralysed man can walk again after receiving revolutionary treatment which one of the British scientists responsible hailed as a breakthrough "more impressive than a man walking on the Moon" - although others urged caution....
Pistorius to learn sentence for killing girlfriend
SOUTH African Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius today learns his sentence for shooting dead his girlfriend on Valentine's Day last year...
Warring S.Sudan leaders accept
SOUTH Sudan President Salva Kiir and his arch-rival rebel chief Riek Machar have accepted mutual responsibility for a 10-month civil war...
Was Oscar Pistorius' 5 year sentence fair and just?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter