World
Michael Jackson doctor's conviction upheld
Publish Date: Jan 16, 2014
Michael Jackson doctor's conviction upheld
Michael Jackson death: Conrad Murray got a four-year jail sentence in 2011. PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

LOS ANGELES - A California appeals court unanimously upheld Wednesday the involuntary manslaughter conviction of Michael Jackson's former doctor, saying there was evidence of his guilt in the star's 2009 death.

Conrad Murray got a four-year jail sentence in 2011 for the singer's death from an overdose of the anesthetic propofol administered by the medic.

The doctor, who was looking after Jackson as he rehearsed in Los Angeles for a series of comeback concerts in London, served two of the four years in prison, and was let out early for good behavior and due to prison overcrowding.

He had appealed his sentence, saying there was insufficient proof of his guilt and that the jury should have been isolated during the entire length of the trial.

A three-judge panel of the California 2nd District Court of Appeal condemned Murray's behavior, saying his "false and misleading statements" and "his efforts to clean up the scene... show a consciousness of guilt."

Murray's "callous disregard for Mr Jackson's health and safety was shown throughout the trial from the manner in which he administered a number of dangerous drugs to Mr Jackson without the appropriate medical equipment, precautions or personnel in place, and to the manner in which he left Mr Jackson unattended," the judges said.

"The evidence demonstrated that Mr Jackson was a vulnerable victim and that appellant was in a position of trust, and that appellant violated the trust relationship by breaching standards of professional conduct in numerous respects."

The panel also found that the evidence presented at sentencing showed that Murray "failed to take responsibility and displayed a lack of remorse throughout the proceedings."

Murray's lawyer Valerie Wass said the decision was "disappointing but not unexpected."

She called Murray's appeal "merely the first step," hinting at further legal action possibly with the California Supreme Court.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
European stocks on Ebola, eurozone concerns
Europe's main stock markets pulled back Friday on concerns over New York's first Ebola case and the outlook for the eurozone....
Mexico governor steps down over student disappearances
The governor of the Mexican state where 43 students vanished a month ago following a confrontation with police allegedly linked to a major drug cartel has bowed to pressure to stand down....
A doctor who recently returned to New York from treating Ebola patients in Guinea tested positive on Thursday for the deadly virus, the first confirmed case in the city, officials said....
Missing Mexico journalist found shot dead
THE editor of an investigative magazine in violence-wracked northwestern Mexico who disappeared two weeks ago was found dead with gunshot wounds...
Bashir calls opponents for talks
SUDAN'S President Omar al-Bashir has urged opponents to join him in 'national dialogue' talks, days after it was announced he would be seeking re-election...
Mexico says mayor, wife were behind student-teacher disappearances
A Mexican mayor and his wife were "probable masterminds" behind the disappearance of 43 student-teachers last month in the restive southwest, the country's attorney general said on Wednesday....
Should diplomatic passports issued to ex-govt workers be with drawn?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter