National
PENSION SCAM: Police forward file to DPP
Publish Date: Jan 13, 2014
PENSION SCAM: Police forward file to DPP
Mike Chibita the Director of Public Prosecutions.
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Steven Candia

THE police have forwarded to the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) a file on three former senior ministry of public service officials adversely named in a shs 88.2b National Social Security Fund (NSSF) scam, part of a wider 165b fraud probe.

The file in which Stephen Kiwanuka-Kunsa, the Commissioner in charge Pensions; the Principal Accountant Christopher Obey and his deputy, David Apila Oloka are adversely named and once led to their arrest early last year was forwarded last week for perusal and sanctioning, police sources said.

Kiwanuka-Kunsa, Obey and Oloka were arrested in January last year as they turned up to answer a police bond and detained after interrogations and recording a statement in regard to the scam. They were however later released.

The former Permanent Secretary, Jimmy Lwamafa, now on interdiction was also quizzed at the Criminal Investigations and Intelligence Directorate (CIID) in connection with the alleged fraud before his bond being extended.

Two other ministry officials, Margaret Ojara, the Under Secretary in charge Finance and Administration and Joses Tegeza, the assistant commissioner for Policy and Planning in charge budgeting have also been quizzed in regard to the scam.

The Director CIID Grace Akullo could not be reached for comment but source confirmed that the file had been submitted. “The file was sent for sanctioning and we are just waiting for the outcome,” a source said.

Sources told the New Vision that the outgoing NSSF MD Richard Byaruhanga had also been questioned as part of the investigations and maintained that no such contribution was remitted to the fund.

Byaruhanga is said to have informed detectives the even the people, among them the police and prisons from who contributions were deducted were not eligible to make contributions.

It is alleged that Kunsa over saw the budgeting of the money under his department and also defended the money in Parliament.

The Auditor General, in his report, noted that the shs 88.2 billion NSSF contribution did not reach the NSSF account thus suspicion that the money was pocketed by some individual in Public Service.

The money was allegedly swindled in two financial years [2010/11 and 2011/12] in instalments of shs 44.1b. The Auditor General further indicated that pensioners are under no obligation to contribute to the Fund.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Bart Katureebe is new Chief Justice
Bart Magunda Katureebe has been appointed new Chief Justice, finally replacing Benjamin Odoki...
University students ask for more technical schools
As unemployment rate escalates among the youth university students have demanded for the creation of more vocational technical institutions to create jobs for themselves...
A big jar of condoms at work as a bonus
An Australian broadcaster has revealed how it discourages staff from having babies and taking maternity leave....
US ambassador slashed and bloodied in Seoul attack
The US ambassador to South Korea, Mark Lippert, was slashed on his face and arm in Seoul on Thursday by a lone, blade-wielding activist opposed to ongoing US-Korean military drills....
Mukula hails Museveni as dependable leader
Soroti Municipality MP Mike Mukula has hailed President Yoweri Museveni as a strong leader whose relevance in Uganda’s politics still counts and cannot be swept away by any political tide...
Crack down on safety non-complaint workplaces begins
The Ministry of Gender, Labour and Social Development has written to the Directorate of Public Prosecutions and Police ahead of this week's crackdown on workplaces that have not yet complied with the issued safety and health standards...
Is KCCA doing enough to curb poor hygeine?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter