World
Former pope secretly leaves Vatican to visit brother in hospital
Publish Date: Jan 05, 2014
Former pope secretly leaves Vatican to visit brother in hospital
Former pope Benedict XVI secretly left his residence, according to media reports.
  • mail
  • img
newvision

ROME - Former pope Benedict XVI secretly left his residence in the Vatican to visit his brother in hospital in Rome, Italian media reported Saturday.

The 85-year-old, who promised on his retirement to live "hidden from the world", was escorted in a car with blacked-out windows for an hour's visit with Georg Ratzinger on Friday in the Policlinico Gemelli hospital in the Italian capital, La Stampa daily said.

Ratzinger, 89, who is a priest, was admitted to hospital on Thursday after travelling to the Vatican from Germany to spend Christmas with the former pontiff, reportedly for an unplanned check-up on a minor heart condition.

He was discharged on Saturday, according to the ANSA news agency.

The visit was Benedict's second excursion since he retired in May to the former monastery within the Vatican gardens, where he has kept a very low profile.

His first trip was to attend a concert in August at Castel Gandolfo, the papal summer residence where he stayed for two months following his resignation in February last year, the reports said.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Turkey hosts Gallipoli ceremonies 100 years on
Turkish President Recep Tayip Erdogan on Friday hosted leaders from the former Allied powers of World War I to pay tribute to the tens of thousands killed in the Battle of Gallipoli 100 years after one of the most wasteful yet emblematic campaigns of the conflict....
Major Greek bank to wipe debts of poorest clients
One of Greece's largest banks is to wipe away the debts of clients who owe up to 20,000 euros ($21,600) in a one-off gesture to ease the burden on its crisis-hit customers....
Obama avoids calling Armenian massacre
US President Barack Obama on Thursday described the World War I massacre of Armenians as "terrible carnage", but avoided the term genocide, as tempers flared ahead of the 100th anniversary of the bloodshed....
Dutch expert fired after showing MH17 victim photos
A Dutch expert helping to identify victims from last year's MH17 airliner crash in Ukraine has been fired after showing photographs of the dead....
Yemen violence death toll tops 1,000
THE death toll from fighting in Yemen since late March has topped 1,000 according to the UN, saying it wanted to quickly send international staff back to the country...
Zuma vows action over immigrant attacks as army deployed
President Jacob Zuma on Wednesday pledged to tackle xenophobia in South Africa as troops were sent in to support police in a crackdown against attacks on immigrants that have left at least seven people dead....
Do you support KCCA'S move to return city communter buses?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter