• No_Ads
National
Youth leaders' worry over delayed fundsPublish Date: Jan 05, 2014
Youth leaders' worry over delayed funds
  • mail
  • img
The youth leaders say the finance ministry, headed by Maria Kiwanuka (pictured), has not released all the funds for the programme.
newvision

By Jeff Andrew Lule     

NTINDA, Kampala - Members of the National Youth Council (NYC) executive have expressed concern over the finance ministry’s failure to release the approved funds for the Youth Livelihood Programme (YLP) to be launched by President Yoweri Museveni this month.

Addressing journalists at a press briefing at their offices in Ntinda on Friday, NYC chairman, Samuel Kavuma said Parliament approved sh19bn for the programme to start with but were surprised when only sh6bn was released without any explanation.

“Because the financial year had already kicked off, Parliament approved sh19bn to start with and allocated sh12bn in the next financial year but only sh6bn has been released.

“This is very inappropriate because the amount is not even half of the approved funds,” he said.

In a move to fight poverty and unemployment among the youth, Parliament cleared sh265bn for the YLP, a five-year project.

Kavuma said the minister of gender, labour and social development, Mary Karoro Okurut wrote to the finance ministry over the matter but no explanation has been given yet.

He said following the failure of the youth programme in the past three years, they will not allow anyone to frustrate the youth programme again.

“This money will be sent to various sub-counties for easy accessibility and monitoring. This time we shall have supervisors to monitor these youth groups to make sure the funds are not misused,” he said.

He said they have already asked the ministry of finance to explain the matter before the end of the month.

“We have also notified all youth leaders across the country on the matter and we intend to camp at the finance ministry on February 3 if no explanation is made.”

The programme is to be implemented by the ministry of gender as the lead ministry, together with Local Government and the Office of the Inspector General of Government to ensure accountability of funds advanced to various targeted youth groups.

The programme targets more than 6.5 million youth aged between 18 and 30 in 112 districts around the country.

 The youth council chairman emphasized that the project targets school dropouts, youth living in slums, high risk and impoverished communities; uneducated youth, single parents, youth with disability, youth living with HIV/Aids and graduates and those who have completed A-Level.

The Youth Livelihood Programme is responsive to the government’s Vision 2040 of transforming Uganda into a modern and prosperous country within 30 years.

According to the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), the labour force in the country has 4.4 million youth with about 32% of them jobless. Two million are illiterate and another two million are underemployed.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Govt, Kabale University in 101 acre land row
Government and Kabale University are locked in a row over a 101 acre piece of land in Kabale district, with the university claiming that its land is being grabbed. On April 4, the institution petitioned the land division of the High Court in Kampala, demanding that government be stopped from purpo...
Parliament moves to review university admission criteria
Parliament has passed a motion recommending a review of the district quota system for admission of students to public universities....
Leaked tapes: Kidandala owes me explanation - Lukwago
Embattled Kampala Lord Mayor, Erias Lukwago, has expressed shock at the recent leaked recordings of his deputy Suleiman Kidandala meeting the Police chief....
MPs turn away NFA officials over late coming
There was a mild drama at parliament after the National Forestry Authority executive director, Michael Mugisha and his team were ordered to go back after arriving late...
Aronda warns ID project staff against arrogance
Internal affairs minister, Gen. Aronda Nyakairima has promised to some ID Project staff who are rude to the people going to register...
Leaked recordings: Kidandala owns up
Kampala City deputy Lord Mayor, Suleiman Kidandala, has acknowledged taking part in leaked tape recordings.In his defense at a news conference in Kampala on Thursday, Kidandala said he did it for the good of the city and his boss, the embattled Lord Mayor, Erias Lukwago....
WIll the national ID registration process be completed in the scheduled 4 months timeframe?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter