World
Army commander in eastern Congo killed in ambush
Publish Date: Jan 02, 2014
Army commander in eastern Congo killed in ambush
Col. Mamadou MDala Moustafa / FARDC Photo
  • mail
  • img
newvision

KINSHASA - The commander of Congolese government troops fighting Ugandan Islamist rebels in the restive east of country was killed in an ambush Thursday, the government said.

"Colonel Mamadou Ndala has been killed... Apparently it was the ADF-Nalu (Ugandan rebel force) that killed him and two of his bodyguards," government spokesman Lambert Mende said.

"This is really an immense loss for the armed forces and the republic," Mende told AFP.

DR Congo forces in Eastern Congo

DR. Congo forces in Eastern Congo / AFP Photo

Ndala was travelling between towns in strife-torn North Kivu province, "for the deployment of a commando battalion when his jeep fell into an ambush," Mende said.

The attack was apparently the work of the rebel Alliance of Democratic Forces and National Army for the Liberation of Uganda (ADF-Nalu), which is one of the oldest armed movements active in eastern DR Congo, military and UN sources said.

"Just when we arrived at Matembo, a rocket came in from the right-hand side of the road and struck our jeep, which was mounted with a heavy weapon," Corporal Paul Safari, a bodyguard to the colonel, told AFP near the scene.

"I began shooting until I ran out of ammunition, but the aggressors were still advancing," he added.

A senior officer in the UN mission in the DR Congo known as MONUSCO, which is providing the army with military and logistical support, confirmed the ambush "probably by the ADF-Nalu against the FARDC (Congolese army)."

"The situation is complicated," the officer said without elaborating.

ADF-Nalu was created in the mid-1990s in western Uganda out of the merger of two armed groups opposed to the regime of President Yoweri Museveni, in power since 1986.

The rebel force last week killed 40 civilians in a grisly attack in the northeastern Beni region of DR Congo, when they raped women and hacked children to death, dumping bodies in latrines, according to local officials and MONUSCO, which sent attack helicopters on a retaliatory raid.

The rebels have been led since 2007 by Jamil Mukulu, a former Christian who converted to Islam, and they are considered to be the only Islamist movement active across the border in DR Congo.

The United States put ADP-Nalu on its list of terrorist organisations in 2001 and Mukulu has been targeted by UN sanctions since 2011 and European Union sanctions since 2012.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Eiffel Tower reopens after staff walk out over pickpockets
Paris's iconic Eiffel Tower was shut to tourists for several hours on Friday as staff walked off the job to protest a surge in gangs of pickpockets....
Bank of England admits to researching
The Bank of England revealed Friday that it is researching the economic risks of Britain leaving the European Union....
Emails offer rare glimpse into Clinton
All the emails released on Friday deal with Libya and the September 11, 2012 Benghazi attack....
Burundi protesters defy police crackdown
Thousands of anti-government protesters in Burundi marched on the streets of the capital Bujumbura Friday, defying one of the heaviest pushes by police to end weeks of demonstrations....
Intense South Sudan battles creating
South Sudanese government tanks backed by helicopter gunships have pushed back rebels from a key oil town, state television showed on Friday, as the UN condemned an "entirely man-made catastrophe."...
Chinese political enemy given funeral 50 years later
A funeral has finally been held for one of the Chinese Communist party's early high-profile political targets nearly 50 years after he disappeared....
Should politicians be banned from addressing religious gatherings?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter