• No_Ads
World
Four U.S. military personnel released in LibyaPublish Date: Dec 28, 2013
Four U.S. military personnel released in Libya
  • mail
  • img
newvision

WASHINGTON - Four members of the U.S. military detained in Libya were released after being taken into custody by the government, U.S. officials said on Friday.

"All four (have been) released," a U.S. defense official said.

Earlier, the U.S. State Department confirmed that the four were being held and U.S. authorities were in touch with the Libyan government over the issue.

Circumstances under which the four were detained remained unclear. But more than two years after the collapse of Muammar Gaddafi's government, the country remains in turmoil with widespread insecurity.

The New York Times reported that the service members were taken into custody near Roman ruins at Sabratha, a tourist area about an hour's drive from the capital, Tripoli.

The incident takes on greater significance because of the militant attack in Benghazi on Sept. 11, 2012, in which U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed.

The attacks touched off a political storm in Washington, with Republicans accusing President Barack Obama's administration of telling shifting stories about who was behind the attacks.

In October, U.S. forces seized Nazih al-Ragye, better known by the cover name Abu Anas al-Liby, in Tripoli in connection with the bombings of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998.

Reuters
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Obama dreams of sushi on first night in Tokyo
US President Barack Obama will reportedly dine at a tiny Tokyo sushi restaurant on Wednesday - a place with three coveted Michelin stars but only a handful of seats - ruled with an iron rod by its redoubtable 88-year-old owner, Jiro....
Police Twitter campaign backfires badly
New York police Tuesday were eating extra helpings of humble pie after asking people to post images of themselves and NYPD officers on Twitter - only to face a deluge of pictures of alleged police brutality....
Australia says cost not a concern as mini-sub fails to locate MH370
Australia said Wednesday cost was not a concern in the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, after the mini-sub plumbing the depths of the Indian Ocean for wreckage ended its ninth mission empty-handed....
Biden meets Ukraine leaders as Russia, US swap blame on crumbling deal
US Vice President Joe Biden met Ukraine's new pro-Western leaders to offer firm American backing as Washington and Moscow traded blame over an unravelling peace deal to defuse the country's deep crisis....
Syria calls June 3 presidential election
Syria has announced it will hold a June 3 presidential election, expected to return Bashar al-Assad to office, as fresh claims emerged of his regime's use of chemical weapons....
S. Sudan rebels slaughtered
Rebel gunmen in South Sudan massacred "hundreds" of civilians in ethnic killings when they captured the oil town of Bentiu last week, the UN said Monday, one of the worst reported atrocities in the war-torn nation. In the main mosque alone, "more than 200 civilians were reportedly killed and over...
WIll the national ID registration process be completed in the scheduled 4 months timeframe?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter